Thread: Backpack repair ?

Backpack repair ?

I have a couple of backpacks in need of repair. Shoulder straps becoming unstitched from the pack (probably from carrying too much crap) and that type of thing. Does anyone in southern New England handle this sort of thing ?
    I agree with Ranxerox !!!!

Swampyankee

Quote Originally Posted by swamp View Post
    I have a couple of backpacks in need of repair...
    Hey Swampy,

Back in the day EMS Boston had a person in-house who would do repairs on most any type of gear.

Lately I've had some sewing done by a local tailor / shoe repair guy.

cb
    How many 4Ks in the NE100?
    All of em.

'Springtime' on the Carters (Somerville, MA)
    Quote Originally Posted by swamp View Post
    I have a couple of backpacks in need of repair. Shoulder straps becoming unstitched from the pack (probably from carrying too much crap) and that type of thing. Does anyone in southern New England handle this sort of thing ?
    If they are Osprey packs they will do the repairs or replace the pack as long as you pay for shipping.
    | 62.2% W48: 19/48
    Trail Adopter of the Guinea Pond Trail (Pemi District)

Campmor in Paramus, NJ has a repair department - see bottom of this page if interested: https://www.campmor.com/CustomerServ...nt_____aboutus

If your pack just needs re-sawing then I think a local cobbler should have a sawing machine capable of handling thick and hard materials.

big needle and old style dental floss, not the ribbon stuff. Old EMS pack is still going strong 10+ years after the repair.

Yeah, reattaching straps sounds like the sort of thing you can do yourself some night when you're stuck indoors. Keep the stitches even so the strain is spread evenly. If the fabric of the pack is torn (not just the thread coming loose), put in a patch between the strap and the pack.

I bought one of these years ago https://www.amazon.com/Speedy-Stitch...=hand+stitcher. I bought some super strong thread from the Ragged Mountain gear room and have made many a repair over the years. Note necessarily neat but functional. I do find that the knots can slip so I hit the finished knots with shoe glue type product.

Quote Originally Posted by peakbagger View Post
    I bought one of these years ago https://www.amazon.com/Speedy-Stitch...=hand+stitcher. I bought some super strong thread from the Ragged Mountain gear room and have made many a repair over the years. Note necessarily neat but functional. I do find that the knots can slip so I hit the finished knots with shoe glue type product.
    Ragged Mountain also did repairs at one point and it was very popular. They did great work. If the case is still the same you’ll get the work done but be prepared to wait awhile.
    "I'm getting up and going to work everyday and I am stoked. That does not suck!"__Shane McConkey

I'll second the recommendation for Ragged Mountain Outfitters in Interval NH (but it's not southern NE as originally asked). I had them replace the straps on some bike panniers a few months ago. Excellent work, and much less expensive than I had expected. Pretty quick turn-around, too, maybe I caught them in a lull.

When I go backpacking I take a small amount of 50-lb braided fishing line that looks pretty much like regular thread and I think is strong enough for any pack repairs in the field. That type of fishing line is easy to find at any sporting goods store. Other commonly available sawing threads are likely not nearly as strong. Actually, I suspect 50-lb thread is probably an overkill.
    Last edited by iAmKrzys; 12-11-2017 at 06:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by iAmKrzys View Post
    When I go backpacking I take a small amount of 50-lb braided fishing line that looks pretty much like regular thread and I think is strong enough for any pack repairs in the field. That type of fishing line is easy to find at any sporting goods store. Other commonly available sawing threads are likely not nearly as strong. Actually, I suspect 50-lb thread is probably an overkill.
    As peakbagger already posted, get the Speedy Sticher! Great recommendation! It will handle some varied thread size on up to the thick waxy stuff that comes with the kit. This will handle most home repairs and certainly qualifies as one of those must have tools for sure. A Classic!
    "I'm getting up and going to work everyday and I am stoked. That does not suck!"__Shane McConkey