Catheters and cold conditions

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sijesi

Reaction score
Hello all --

It's been a while since I posed a question to you, but you've always been helpful, so here goes. ... This one's a little embarrassing.

I do an annual winter hike/climb with some friends in the High Peaks region of 'Dacks, but it's been a few years since I've gone. I'm about to return to the woods in a few weeks, but my medical situation has changed since last time. These days I need to use a catheter to urinate. Typically, I need to do this three to four times a day. My question, for anyone out there that might have experience, is how does the plastic perform in the extreme cold of the winter mountains? The product I use is called SpeediCath Flex Coude. Each is a single-use packet that contains a lubricating fluid. I've tested them in my freezer; they seem to thaw OK in my pocket after not long and be usable. My plan is to pack in however many I think I'll need, then keep each next-day's supply in my sleeping bag overnight to thaw and transfer them to an inside pocket of my clothing to keep for use during the day. However, I've never tried to use one in subzero conditions and am concerned as to how quickly they can freeze up and become too stiff to use. Like, can they freeze before I can get them in and out of me? Of course, I'll be packing out the used ones.

Last edited:
Plastic catheters like that will warm up and cool down very quickly - they have very little thermal mass. So your concern is legitimate.

I suggest testing the catheterization process on a cold night on the back porch of your house, or somewhere close to your car, if possible. That way you know how it's going to go when you are back in the woods.

You may find that you need to get out your sleeping bag, or a large parka, and wrap it around yourself, so you can be a little contained and protected from the wind. Worst case, you could set up camp, but that's a lot of work to do 3X / day.

No first hand experience, but I was thinking. Any chance hand warmers could aid in the process? They warm fast and you could carry a bunch, maybe with some athletic tape you could rig something. Not being familiar with the equipment, this may not be of help.