Ever needed two headlamps (or lights)?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What’s this about cheap headlamps? When I check REI they start at $30 or so and up. Are cheapies from Joes Sporting Goods or Walmart any good? Heavier? Less reliable?

Not heavy enough to make any difference. Reliability is something of a concern (not very predictable), but when you can get three of them for the price, you can just carry an extra one and stop worrying.

The pricier ones generally are slightly better in most or all of the attributes you want in a lamp: shape of beam, sturdiness of case, design of switch (so it stays off when you want it to), battery life, comfort (shape against forehead, plus strap design), water resistance, ease of battery replacement, the list goes on. Plus the cheap ones usually don't have as many modes (spot vs wide, bright vs long-lasting) or a decent swivel mount. But the cheap ones are still plenty good enough for most uses.

For my primary lamp on a night hike, I'll pick the $30 one. Then I'll put two or more cheap ones in my pack as backups or for hand-held use as fog lamps. I keep a couple more around the house, plus in the glove compartment of each car.

What’s this about cheap headlamps? When I check REI they start at $30 or so and up. Are cheapies from Joes Sporting Goods or Walmart any good? Heavier? Less reliable?

The Walmart “ozark trail” headlamps work as well or better than other brands costing twice as much , IMO.

The Walmart “ozark trail” headlamps work as well or better than other brands costing twice as much , IMO.

Good example here: 40 lumens is on the low side nowadays, but still a lot better than the incandescent lamps I once used. Worth noting that the human eye will barely notice a doubling or halving of brightness. So a 40 lumen light vs say 100 lumens (e.g. $10 Yalumi brand on Amazon) is noticeable but far from dramatic. (I don't actually recommend the Yalumi as a primary lamp. The beam is narrow, even in its "wide" mode. Hard to make out the whole trail, or blazes, without constantly swinging your head around.)

I carried just one for years, then I saw many carried a back-up. I upgraded my old Petzel Tikka to the Black Diamond Storm. I now carry both, just seemed like a great idea.

I read on another thread where someone always carries two lights. Now I'm thinking of doing the same for solo hiking.

Please share *real-life* stories where a second light saved the day. Also, what folks recommend for the second light. I assume the first would be a headlamp.

Completed presi traverse on Jackson near sunset where we met a party having an evening picnic. We knew we'd be getting down after dark and they left the summit ~15 minutes before us. We caught up to them a few hundred yards down the trail strugging with some of the slabs. Knowing they'd never make it out (and had no light), I gave them my primary lamp (and my address) knowing that I had the backup in my pack.

Primary lamp (when I know I'm starting/ending in the dark) - Princeton Tec Apex
Primary lamp (when I don't expect to use it) - Princeton Tec Byte
Backup lamp(s) - Petzl Zipka (always buried in the bottom of my pack)

I carry a second headlamp in my first aid kit. Easy to find. Weight is negligible. I've loaned it out to my hiking partner whose lamp failed, but I've never needed it myself.

I carry one headlamp and one small backup flashlight. I had to use the flashlight on one occasion and learned from that experience to regularly check the lights and make sure they are working before leaving. Daylight is delayed by almost an hour where I now live here in Georgia from what it was in Maine. For that reason I have more often had to use the headlamp when leaving and less often when getting back from a hike.

I thought I'd edit this post by adding that on the Southern Cumberland Plateau in TN where I've been hiking recently, hiking is not permitted after dark. Obviously I'd still have my headlamp with me "just in case".

Last edited:
Since I almost always hike with my wife, we have 4 headlamps. I have a regular one, and my backup is a keychain light affixed to the strap. Weighs 1/4 ounce and costs 50 cents. I also have spare batteries. Laurie carries a full backup. We have never needed to use all 4, but we did have a hike where both of our primaries went dark.

You called? :) Lights can get turned on (and the batteries drained) in the pack. If a light does not have a secure switch, reversing half (1 is sufficient in a 3-cell LED light) the cells can ensure the batteries will not be drained even if the switch is turned on.
I actually carry my light in a hard case for this reason.

I actually carry my light in a hard case for this reason.

I reverse the middle battery. I have been burned with a dead headlamp that turned on in my pack. Thankfully sharing headlamps isn't hard in a group so it wasn't a big deal. If I were solo I would have a spare, but in a group I am comfortable having one so long as others are also equipped.

One of the factors in my choosing the Black Diamond Storm, is it's locking feature.

I thought I'd edit this post by adding that on the Southern Cumberland Plateau in TN where I've been hiking recently, hiking is not permitted after dark. Obviously I'd still have my headlamp with me "just in case".

"What's that? Oh, no, Officer, I'm not hiking. I'm checking on my still. Some damn Yankee was messing around here last night."

"Okay then. Have a nice evening."

One of the factors in my choosing the Black Diamond Storm, is it's locking feature.

I find that there are two many functions and not enough buttons with some of the Black Diamond headlamps. Operation can be confusing. Also, if you loan this kind of lamp to someone who is not familiar with the lockout feature, or how to unlock it, they can get stuck in the dark....thinking that the batteries are dead. I have one, and I actually had to get the manual from the web to figure out how to use the red leds....

Just my 2 cents...

But back to the original question. Coming down from Flume with many feet of snow on the trail, I had to poke my head through the pine branches. A pine branch worked its way between my head and the head band, and pulled the cable of the light out of the battery housing...it survived but the strain relief plug was pulled out..

I did have 2 lights, and I was glad. I repaired the unit when I got home and added some hot glue...

As other's mentioned, digging for batteries in the dark in the bottom of your pack is a pain. Since I carry extra lights, I don't have to change lights in the freezing cold in gloves but imagine it's easy to drop batteries into the snow. The second light I usually keep in with my extra gloves near the top of my pack and try to have a small flashlight in the bottom of my pack. As an emergency, to look for another light in my pack, I could use my phone's light, however, since the phone is also for contact and pics, I prefer not using the light.

On cost, on occasion, I've found the small Petzl and Black Diamonds on sale for under $20. at EMS. Could have older models that they were making small changes on. The bargain store headlamps tend to have quirky on off buttons and tend to be heavier for the style. A good camp option, or summer option if failure means a uncomfy night out in 60 degree temps.

I just use the light on my cell phone. Why carry anything else?

Yes

Someone might take you seriously ��. Not a good idea.

What's life without a bit of humor? I highly doubt anyone is going to single out my post and ignore all of the others.
Was I supposed to include a :D ?