Camera Tripods

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DayTrip

Reaction score
I am revisiting the issue of buying a tripod for my GoPro and camera (point and shoot) for taking higher quality pictures when I am out hiking. There is quite a dizzying array of features for tripods. Curious if anyone here uses one and what features matter most in the specific context of hiking in the mountains, especially above treeline, in the wind and in very cold conditions. Some particular questions:

1) What is best type of mechanism for opening and closing the legs, considering temps might be cold and I could likely be using gloves. There are simple twist locks, flick locks like trekking poles, spring loaded latches and even some push button styles. My first thought was that a push button mechanism would be ideal because it would be qucker and could probably be done with gloves. But then I wondered about the mechanism in cold weather and whether it would fail.

2) Everything I read about carbon versus aluminum references the lighter weight of carbon. Yet most comparisons I make in weight sho no difference in weight between comparable models. And carbon fiber is quite a bit more expensive. Why? I have seen several references to the vibration reduction being much better for carbn versus aluminum but based on articles I read that is highly debateable among experts. There also seems to be the issue of carbon not being so cold to the touch versus metals which I could see being an advantage. Anyone have any thoughts on carbon versus aluminum?

Appreciate any feedback anyone may have on tripods or general tips and advice on equipment. Thanks in advance.

I carry a tripod in order to occasionally put myself into pictures too. I wanted to add as little weight to my pack as possible so I have two setups:

1. for my smartphone I use JOBY GorillaPod original ( https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0087FFTT2 ) coupled with a phone tripod holder ( https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00VTVPETG )
  2. for my real camera that weighs more I use Pedco UltraPod II https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000ANCPNM
This works for me just fine. The only thing that I am missing is a remote for my phone that would work reliably.

I don't carry a tripod in the woods. (They are too big and heavy and I usually shoot handheld even if a tripod is available. I generally shoot stills so stabilization is usually less of an issue than for video.) If I need stabilization, I lean or place the camera on/against a tree or rock.

I also sometimes form a "tripod" by holding the handles of my poles together with the tips apart on the ground and use my body as the third leg. I hold the camera against the pole handles.

I have recently been doing some astrophotography (which requires a very stable camera mount for a fairly heavy load) and have looked into high end carbon fiber tripods and agree: the weight reduction is pretty disappointing particularly given the large price increase.

IMO, the most practical tripods for hiking (rather than a photo expedition) are small lightweights such as the GorillaPods or table-top tripods placed on or attached to stable objects.

FWIW, my Manfrotto tripod has lever locks that are big enough to operate with gloves. https://www.adorama.com/bgmt055xp3.html However, it is too big and heavy to bring on hikes.

Doug

Last edited:
I already own a Gorilla Pod. I'm looking for a real tripod for more stable videos, sunset, low light and hopefully night shots where a stable platform is critical for a decent photo or video. For day shots and all around hiking my head strap and gorilla pod get the job done but I'm looking to get into the more difficult types of shooting and editing. I've always been annoyed by the way photos never seem to capture the scenes exactly like you see it to the naked eye so I've been experimenting a lot with the settings on my cameras. Small tripods are often not practical above treeline, especially when a decent wind is blowing. Seems like you can get a tripod with a 50-53" height for around 2.5 lbs, roughly the weight of a full 1L Nalgene bottle. That is reasonable to me.

I found that for night shots the most import thing to do with my camera was to avoid pressing a trigger with my fingers. While I bought a remote, a self-timer should do a good job too in terms of stabilizing pictures shot with long exposure. If you take pictures in strong wind a light-weight but high tripod may not help much unless you stabilize it with extra weight.

I found that for night shots the most import thing to do with my camera was to avoid pressing a trigger with my fingers. While I bought a remote, a self-timer should do a good job too in terms of stabilizing pictures shot with long exposure. If you take pictures in strong wind a light-weight but high tripod may not help much unless you stabilize it with extra weight.

Yes I have read that. My GoPro has a time lapse feature which lets me set a delay of 2s-30s and then it takes the picture automatically. I took a few shots goofing around in my backyard the other night (with tiny GoPro tripod included with the accessories) and it wasn't too bad. Laying on the ground to frame the shot was a little annoying though. Thus the desire for a real tripod. :p

And on the wind and weight issue most of the tripods I have been looking at have an accessory hook or carabiner clip to hang weight under the center of the tripod to stabilize. Definitely want that feature.

Last edited:
I have a cheap tripod and I am not in the market for one right now so I haven't explored different options but if I were to buy something new I would definitely look into a gimbal or fluid head tripod for steady, smooth movements which mostly matters if you want to shoot videos. Check out these clips that will give you a bit of feel for what I am talking about:
The thing about fluid head tripods is that I am not sure if you can get one in whole package under 2.5 lbs.

I have a cheap tripod and I am not in the market for one right now so I haven't explored different options but if I were to buy something new I would definitely look into a gimbal or fluid head tripod for steady, smooth movements which mostly matters if you want to shoot videos. Check out these clips that will give you a bit of feel for what I am talking about:
The thing about fluid head tripods is that I am not sure if you can get one in whole package under 2.5 lbs.

From what I had read about these (which admittedly was not much) it is more for large, professional cameras that are heavy and really belong on similarly heavy tripods so the whole rig isn't top heavy. Depending on the model they also cost more than what I want to spend on an entire tripod.

I just had another thought on this - the newer GoPro models come with WiFi capability, so if the main issue for you is being able to see where your camera is pointing then you could also use an app on your smartphone to see what your GoPro records. Personally, I would be a bit concerned about draining primary phone battery for this purpose, but then cheap pre-paid Android phones start at $30 and you can access the app store over WiFi even if you don't continue with pre-paid plan, so essentially you can have an extra screen for your camera, but you can also use it as a backup gps once you put some OSM mapping app on such a phone - I use OsmAmd+ and I know Trail Boss loves Locus Map Pro just to name two good app choices.

I just had another thought on this - the newer GoPro models come with WiFi capability, so if the main issue for you is being able to see where your camera is pointing then you could also use an app on your smartphone to see what your GoPro records. Personally, I would be a bit concerned about draining primary phone battery for this purpose, but then cheap pre-paid Android phones start at $30 and you can access the app store over WiFi even if you don't continue with pre-paid plan, so essentially you can have an extra screen for your camera, but you can also use it as a backup gps once you put some OSM mapping app on such a phone - I use OsmAmd+ and I know Trail Boss loves Locus Map Pro just to name two good app choices.

My GoPro has an LCD screen and I never use WiFi. I bought the LCD housing cover so I can use the screen without having to expose the camera. It's fine for adjusting settings, framing shots, etc. Those batteries in Winter die fast enough without extra technology sucking the life out of them. And I don't want to involve my cell phone and add another piece of technology. I already carry a PLB, InReach, GPS, cell phone, GoPro and point and shoot camera. Hoping the GoPro will take decent enough photos that I can use for all my picture needs. My cell phone takes photos at least as good as my camera now anyway so it is likely to get phased out.

I wound up getting a MeFoto Backpacker Tripod. It is 2.6 lbs (3.2 with the carry case which I will probably not use for hiking). I think it will be fine for what I am doing, especially in the warmer months where my pack weight isn't an issue. Seems well built and sturdy enough for what I'm hoping to do with it. Thanks for all the feedback.