I need crampon suggestions

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Technetium

Reaction score
I need suggestions for crampons for hiking boots (no clip-style). I have a pair that are about 15-20 years old. They are terrible. I just used them the other day and I spent half the time outside just redoing the straps which keep coming undone. Besides that, the straps are fraying now and they need to be replaced anyway.

What I am looking for is something that goes on reliably easy. I don't like playing the "run the long strap through a half dozen slots and loops and hope you get it in the right order" game. Ideally, I wish they had crampons that had snap-together straps much like how the belt-strap on a backpack goes together. I can't find anything like that, however. Not sure why, it would be a lot easier and seems like it would hold together more reliably as well.

Well, give me the best option you can, I guess.

While not a full crampon, I highly recommend the Hillsound Trail Crampon Pro. Excellent traction and very easy on/off ratchet binding system. A significant upgrade from just a microspike but obviously not the full on crampon.
Screen Shot 2017-12-29 at 4.21.30 PM.jpg

I also use the Grivel G10 crampons and while they are a long strap set up (which is typical of this style of attachment) I find them to be pretty simple to use. You simply pass through the toe piece, pass through the two rings at the far side and come back through one of the rings and snug up. Tuck the excess strap in your gaiters or under another strap. Even "clip in" style ones like you mentioned (I have the G12's for this) still have a strap to secure. For legit crampons you'll likely be dealing with a strap of some sort. Grivel's system seems pretty simple.

The G10 was recommended to me here several years ago and I've found them to be very reliable, easy to use on a variety of boots and relatively cost effective versus many other models.

I use the G-10s, Do note there are two different steel straps that connect the front and rear section, the standard one is for stiff boots, there is optional one that is flexible for softer boots that flex. There are also longer straps for those like me who have large boots.

I like Grivel G-10s as well. But you have to strap them up. I don't find their system difficult and my set rarely loosens. Can be used on anything from double plastic boots to trail runners but you'll likely bust the stiff metal connector if using with flexible shoes so PB's suggestion is a good one. I've had to replace one I snapped for that reason once.

If you don't want straps though, these are not your crampon.

I have found the Katoolas to work well.
Second the Kahtoola KTS. I strongly recommend the steel version: holds a point better, and the points are 1" vs. 3/4" on the aluminum. I think they're consistently labeling the steel as KTS and the aluminum as K10 now, but their website is borked so I can't check.

I've had very good luck with the BD Contact's for many years. They offer a Stainless model now with ABS inserts for those warmer sticky snow days as well. This assumes your looking for FULL crampons. I also use Katoolas when the ice/trail/angle conditions are right.

K

Last edited: