Walk In Sites In Baxter - Favorites?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DayTrip

Reaction score
It's that time of year where I am reflecting back on this past year and planning for the next one and one thing that will always make the list since I went for the frst time two Summers ago is Baxter. I have gone the past few Summers now and have stayed at Roaring Brook in walk in site #16, the last one at the end of the path. I absolutely love that site and that campground for everything it offers but I have hiked pretty much everything I want to hike out of that side (Knife Edge, Pamola, Chimney Pond, Cathedral, Hamlin and Hamlin Ridge, South Turner and of course countless trips to Sandy Stream Pond and the Discovery Trail).

This year I'd like to stay on the West side of Katahdin and try some of the other 4k's in the park. So my question is simple: do any of the other campsites have the kind of secluded walk in sites that Roaring Brook has with such convenient access to the trails? I really, really, really love Roaring Brook and if there are comparable sites to these at other campgrounds I'd appreciate the referral. After a few years of various ailments my wife may finally be able to go woth me this year so I don't want to disappoint with all the photos and ranting and raving I have done about Baxter. (She is not a hiker so having an attraction like Sandy Stream close by is nice).

Appreciate any feedback on campsites in the park. Thanks.

I very much liked camping at Katahdin Stream. We had a site right on the stream which was great. There's also good views of Katahdin from the open area by the parking. And, you're close to many of the great hikes on the western side of the park. For your wife, rent a canoe on Daicy Pond or visit Ledge Falls just off the Park Tote Road.

KSC is real busy but the 3 leantos (1,2,3) and two tentsites (24 and 25) have more privacy and a lot less traffic.

Abol is quieter than KSC but has a lot of hiking traffic, Lean tos 4,5,6 along the stream are a lot quieter

Hard to beat Owls Nest Cabin at Daicey Pond

I havent stayed in the walk in sites at South Branch Pond but expect that are great spot for folks who like sunrises over the travelers. There is one tent site 36 and one lean to 12

Lean to 9 at Chimney is my favorite, its the most remote from the campground and has no hiker traffic, plenty or moose traffic.

The two leantos at Wassataquoik stream are easy to hike into with nice views up the stream.

I have not yet successfully stayed at Wassatquoik Lake Island Leanto despite having reservations (hurricane Irene closed the park when I had reservations).

Davis Pond Lean to is long hike in from anywhere and the actual location is not particularly scenic but walk 100 feet in any direction and you will get blown away. When you book the leanto you book the entire Northwest Basin.

Russel Pond Lean to #5 is quite private, the other sites have bit more hiker traffic.

Appreciate any feedback on campsites in the park. Thanks.

There is a canoe cabin across Kidney Pond that is very remote and private. About a 10 minute paddle from the main dock.

KP is pretty close to the Marston Tr for Brothers-Fort-Coe and also Doubletop.

cb

You're not allowed to use a tent in a lean to though right? If my wife goes it will definitely be in a larger, "family type" tent as opposed to backpacking gear (of which she has none - she is not a hiker) so I'm limited to tent sites only.

And when people mention "busy" is Roaring Brook considered to be a quiet site relative to other spots? Seem to remember plenty of cars and people there, although no real partying types. Seemed mostly serious hikers and older, more responsible groups and families.

And in Katahdin Stream with the AT running right through the campground should I be concerned about theft? Lot of traveling through during the day makes for a good opportunity while everyone is out. Never worried about that stuff camping until we had a bunch of stuff stolen from us in NH many years ago. Now I think about stuff like that.

You can use a tent in lean-to, you can't tent on a lean-to site. You have to use the lean-to.

You can always lock your valuables in your car. I've never had anything stolen by people when I've been to Baxter. Not something I normally worry about when I'm in the woods.

Roaring Brook is busy, meaning it's almost always full. There are a lot of trails on that side of the mountain. Not just Katahdin, but South Turner Mountain and Katahdin Pond. It's really busy on weekends when the day use parking lots fill up at both roaring Brook and Katahdin Stream.

I 2nd Chris' motion about Kidney Pond but, for convenience sake, I'd stay in one of the others. #12, Camp OJI, doesn't have the view it once had and with the trees so mature probably doesn't get the 5 AM moose coming by, either, since there is less to brouse on.

While my son and I hiked my wife enjoyed many hours reading and watching the wildlife from the cabin porch. There is also a library, which frequently has some interesting evening presentations, nearby short trails and, of course, very reasonable canoe rentals. The wood stove is great for keeping your dinner warm.

Be nice to her and maybe she'll drop you off at a trail head and pick you up at another. Drop off at North Doublehead and hike back to the cabin for one. This was our base camp when we did the Brothers, Fort and Coe. It was also base camp when we hiked the interior from Nesowednehunk to Roaring Brook.

No one mentioned Nesowadnehunk at all. Any reason? I was looking at this area on Baxter site and it sounds like they have a lot of open field common areas and numerous walk in sites alng the river. In satelite photos at least it looks like it would be a great spot. Is it the lengthy drive up to it that is the drawback? Lack of anything to do for the wife without a substantial drive? Curious why it made no one's list.

Nesowadnehunk tends to be second choice for most since they closed the park gate long ago. Its a bit of a drive for the summit trailheads (keep in mind Baxter time when driving on the internal roads is a lot slower than normal time). Its really too far for most to drive to South Branch to do the Traveler and its an extra 45 minutes to get to KSC. The Doubletop Trail is quite popular and it runs right past a few of the sites on the west bank of the stream. Long ago the east side of the stream was pretty open so privacy was a bit lacking but I think it has grown in over the years. The new bunkhouse gets rave reviews. It may be an option instead of a tent in a lean to. It has a wood stove and windows which presumably have screens. Just make sure to book it entirely as the reservations are by the bunk unless you want visitors.A nice thing is its one of the few places below treeline with open fields. There is not a lot of dayhiking around the area. It going to be quiet as there isnt much traffic past it.

Nesowadnehunk tends to be second choice for most since they closed the park gate long ago. Its a bit of a drive for the summit trailheads (keep in mind Baxter time when driving on the internal roads is a lot slower than normal time). Its really too far for most to drive to South Branch to do the Traveler and its an extra 45 minutes to get to KSC. The Doubletop Trail is quite popular and it runs right past a few of the sites on the west bank of the stream. Long ago the east side of the stream was pretty open so privacy was a bit lacking but I think it has grown in over the years. The new bunkhouse gets rave reviews. It may be an option instead of a tent in a lean to. It has a wood stove and windows which presumably have screens. Just make sure to book it entirely as the reservations are by the bunk unless you want visitors.A nice thing is its one of the few places below treeline with open fields. There is not a lot of dayhiking around the area. It going to be quiet as there isnt much traffic past it.

The open fields and open river caught my attention too for the possible views, although these walk in sites are lengthy walks (2-3 times my favorite #16 at Roaring Brook). Do you know off the top of your head how far it is in "Baxter time" to drive from Neso down to the Marston Trailhead (It looks comparable in length to the drive from South Gate to RB, which in my past trips and car was about 20-25 minutes)? If I could do the Brothers and Double Top as day hikes that might make it worth the extra drive in, and I'd only have to drive one day with the Doubetop trailhead right in campground. It looks like whether I stay at Neso Or Katahdin Stream I'm still looking at driving to access trailheads for the area so I'd just assume have the open views and super convenient river access.

Roaring Brook really is awesome. I suspect I'll be disappointed no matter what I do after such an awesome first trip there and similarly awesome trip last year.

About 15 to 20 minutes to get from Neowadnehunk to the Marston trailhead. There is a nice set of falls called Ledge Falls that is one of the best easily accessible swimming spots in the park on this drive. There are a couple of nice views of Doubletop along the road. As long as you aren't going up Katahdin, Nesowadnehunk is the one to stay at. A Katahdin hike from Nesowadnehunk requires gaming the day use parking pass system which requires a very early morning start. Somewhere along the road is section of river with a slate bottom that has seashell fossils in it but I haven't been able to find it.

A FYI, you probably have heard the warnings on Doubletop but the south approach has a steep eroded near vertical in sections 900 foot climb up out of the valley between Doubletop and the politically incorrect named "Squaws Bosum" to the west. Think Flume Slide steep with no open ledges in spots. I am surprised that a good rainstorm hasn't finished this section of trail off. The rest of this south approach is mostly older logging roads and is very pleasant walking. The north approach from the campground is well graded. You get all the views from the summit approaching it from either end so unless you are redlining, many folks do the approach from the north as an out and back.

Do take the time to visit Daicey and Kidney Pond Campgrounds and check out the views. Its hard to beat the view from Daicey Pond around sunrise when the wind is calm. Here is sample I found https://www.bing.com/images/search?view=detailV2&ccid=Mzxkpdts&id=EDF22C8B1DEB17F6907DA4057AC6D70405EC7EE9&thid=OIP.Mzxkpdts4c4ixPZuyW1p2QHaE4&mediaurl=http%3a%2f%2fwhiteblaze.net%2fforum%2fvbg%2ffiles%2f1%2f5%2f3%2f1%2fkatahdin3-med.jpg&exph=395&expw=600&q=daicy+pond&simid=608003045677010486&selectedIndex=11&ajaxhist=0> I expect one or the other will be on you list for future trip.

About 15 to 20 minutes to get from Neowadnehunk to the Marston trailhead. There is a nice set of falls called Ledge Falls that is one of the best easily accessible swimming spots in the park on this drive. There are a couple of nice views of Doubletop along the road. As long as you aren't going up Katahdin, Nesowadnehunk is the one to stay at. A Katahdin hike from Nesowadnehunk requires gaming the day use parking pass system which requires a very early morning start. Somewhere along the road is section of river with a slate bottom that has seashell fossils in it but I haven't been able to find it.

A FYI, you probably have heard the warnings on Doubletop but the south approach has a steep eroded near vertical in sections 900 foot climb up out of the valley between Doubletop and the politically incorrect named "Squaws Bosum" to the west. Think Flume Slide steep with no open ledges in spots. I am surprised that a good rainstorm hasn't finished this section of trail off. The rest of this south approach is mostly older logging roads and is very pleasant walking. The north approach from the campground is well graded. You get all the views from the summit approaching it from either end so unless you are redlining, many folks do the approach from the north as an out and back.

Do take the time to visit Daicey and Kidney Pond Campgrounds and check out the views. Its hard to beat the view from Daicey Pond around sunrise when the wind is calm. Here is sample I found https://www.bing.com/images/search?view=detailV2&ccid=Mzxkpdts&id=EDF22C8B1DEB17F6907DA4057AC6D70405EC7EE9&thid=OIP.Mzxkpdts4c4ixPZuyW1p2QHaE4&mediaurl=http%3a%2f%2fwhiteblaze.net%2fforum%2fvbg%2ffiles%2f1%2f5%2f3%2f1%2fkatahdin3-med.jpg&exph=395&expw=600&q=daicy+pond&simid=608003045677010486&selectedIndex=11&ajaxhist=0> I expect one or the other will be on you list for future trip.

I was not aware of the steeps on Doubletop and I'm definitely not a redliner so going back and forth from Neso campsite will be fine for me. I think I'm sold on this spot. There are multiple picnic areas my wife can hang out at and we could also make the drive to check out the ponds on an off day/rainy day. I think this is 2018's trip. Thanks for all the info as always.

Nesowadnehunk is beautiful. That entire stretch of the western part of the park is absolutely stunning once you get past the relative crowds of Daicey and Katahdin Stream trailheads. The road smooths and tends to be in far better shape than the approach to Roaring Brook. The drive alone is gorgeous alongside the Nesowadnehunk. As mentioned, Ledge Falls is a great hangout or swim spot. The Marston trailhead itself is remarkable, in my opinion. You could sit for hours in the open clearing of the parking lot, listening to stream flow and looking up at Doubletop. The lean to's are great and the bridge across the stream in the campground is as picturesque a spot as you could find. If you fish, the stream is loaded with wild brookies. The Brothers-Coe loop is fantastic, though eroded and overgrown up to North Brother. Doubletop from the campground is a great short hike with some of the best views in the park. An evening canoe on Kidney Pond can be magical and don't miss the short 1 mile hike to Big and Little Niagra falls from Daicey - would be a great, easy afternoon walk with your wife. Not sure when you usually go but I've generally found a huge drop off in mosquito activity once you get into August. Tent in the lean to can be a must at times anywhere in the park. OH and I just absolutely love Baxter if you didn't get that.

Last edited:
Nesowadnehunk is beautiful. That entire stretch of the western part of the park is absolutely stunning once you get past the relative crowds of Daicey and Katahdin Stream trailheads. The road smooths and tends to be in far better shape than the approach to Roaring Brook. The drive alone is gorgeous alongside the Nesowadnehunk. As mentioned, Ledge Falls is a great hangout or swim spot. The Marston trailhead itself is remarkable, in my opinion. You could sit for hours in the open clearing of the parking lot, listening to stream flow and looking up at Doubletop. The lean to's are great and the bridge across the stream in the campground is as picturesque a spot as you could find. If you fish, the stream is loaded with wild brookies. The Brothers-Coe loop is fantastic, though eroded and overgrown up to North Brother. Doubletop from the campground is a great short hike with some of the best views in the park. An evening canoe on Kidney Pond can be magical and don't miss the short 1 mile hike to Big and Little Niagra falls from Daicey - would be a great, easy afternoon walk with your wife. Not sure when you usually go but I've generally found a huge drop off in mosquito activity once you get into August. Tent in the lean to can be a must at times anywhere in the park. OH and I just absolutely love Baxter if you didn't get that.

Thanks. I have been going the week before/after the 4th but this year I will have to go later because of other stuff so I'll target August if I can. Starting to get psyched up for the trip already.

Thanks. I have been going the week before/after the 4th but this year I will have to go later because of other stuff so I'll target August if I can. Starting to get psyched up for the trip already.

If your wife is into volunteering, she can probably work with a ranger (many of whom are women) while you are hiking . They are usually thankful for help doing the little chores that take up so much of their day.

A swim in the stream is wonderful after a hike. You can do that right next to the bridge over the stream near the ranger station.

For an even nicer swim head up the Tote road toward S Branch Pond. In a few miles you will come to an intersection with the road leading to Camp Phoenix. Bear left on the Phoenix road and park at the first dirt lane on the left. Walk 50 yards to a beautiful pebble beach on Neso Lake. There is also very good fishing on this pristine body of water.

Finally, there is a potable spring quite near the bridge over the stream. The ranger's can't tell you it's ok to use due to policy, but those in the know drink this clear cold water from deep in the ground. You'll see a cistern hidden in the brush on the right side of the road just before the bridge.

cb

There is a natural water slide and swimming hole in the chilly Nesowednehunk Stream. Its a popular place and fun to watch the kids, who tolerate the cold water much better than I, located right on the Tote Road north of the camps and south of the turnoff to Camp Phoenix.

As for a thruhike of Doubletop, never occurred to me that the route down from the South Peak would be problematic for most hikers. It is a relatively short stretch of scrambling which I thought was pretty easy even with my relatively short stretch of legs.