East Lincoln Woods ?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

psyculman

Reaction score
Are there any restrictions on no trace WINTER camp set up on the EAST side of the Pemi river heading out from the Lincoln Woods parking lot/ ranger station, besides getting out of sight? Minimum distance north bound, etc.

Using the standard WMNF guidelines https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/stelprdb5363715.pdf , you do have some limitations. No camping within 1/4 of mile from the Kanc, this effectively is moot as the 1/4 mile from developed day use site means you need to hike 1/4 north mile past the cabin and parking area. You also need to be 1/4 of mile away from the East Branch and 1/4 of mile away from the developed campground near the wilderness boundary (of course its highly likely there is plenty of space at the campground in winter so this probably is not an issue). Once you cross the wilderness boundary then the 200 foot from a trail applies but the 1/4 mile from the river most likely trumps that. Given that the trail is generally within 1/4 of mile of the river, I expect that once you have hiked 1/4 mile past the cabin and parking lot that you would will need to camp off the trail in the woods to the right side (east) whatever distance is required to respect the 1/4 mile setback from the river.

Note the FS on occasion can and does mark specific overused spots as no camping spots. These spot closings do not appear to be documented anywhere accessible to the public. Given the fairly open woods in that area I doubt its an issue.

I expect there might be some temptation to camp on the new road to nowhere that starts at the sandpit east of the parking lot and then joins the East Branch trail but I expect the 1/4 mile rule from the parking lot makes it not legit.

Using the standard WMNF guidelines https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/stelprdb5363715.pdf , you do have some limitations. No camping within 1/4 of mile from the Kanc, this effectively is moot as the 1/4 mile from developed day use site means you need to hike 1/4 north mile past the cabin and parking area. You also need to be 1/4 of mile away from the East Branch and 1/4 of mile away from the developed campground near the wilderness boundary (of course its highly likely there is plenty of space at the campground in winter so this probably is not an issue). Once you cross the wilderness boundary then the 200 foot from a trail applies but the 1/4 mile from the river most likely trumps that. Given that the trail is generally within 1/4 of mile of the river, I expect that once you have hiked 1/4 mile past the cabin and parking lot that you would will need to camp off the trail in the woods to the right side (east) whatever distance is required to respect the 1/4 mile setback from the river.

Note the FS on occasion can and does mark specific overused spots as no camping spots. These spot closings do not appear to be documented anywhere accessible to the public. Given the fairly open woods in that area I doubt its an issue.

I expect there might be some temptation to camp on the new road to nowhere that starts at the sandpit east of the parking lot and then joins the East Branch trail but I expect the 1/4 mile rule from the parking lot makes it not legit.

Thank you, that's useful. Will observe these regulations.