Does long-term hiking have to involve a list?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My list, my choices....

That said, Still need four for the 115, still need a few in winter although that's looking less likely, or in my mind, less necessary.

I've been keeping a spreadsheet for each year since 2004 where I track miles biked, paddled, walked, swum and hiked, including stationary bikes, rowing machines and treadmills. Included is a list of any hike that goes up hill to a summit over 1000 feet or a state highpoint. (May need snowshoes for the roof of RI at the moment)

List I am working on, include: all 12 months for the hikes I like (about 25 in NH and the southern New England usual, so far only Greylock has been done in all 12, don't have an August Monadnock trip or a December or February Wachusett trip) and a Calendar showing every day of the year. I've missed about 60 days including my kids birthdays, leap year and my Mother-in-laws birthday and some days I've been out six or seven times on that date.

(as someone with no musical talent and a 17 year old who did not sleep much, my time walking around the house was spent reciting the 48, 46 and 115 in order, multiplication tables, 1-20, and the alphabet, forward and back. My son figured things out early and if I was in the room, he rolled over and went back to bed:eek:)

No lists for me, after 34 yrs of hiking I just go out and enjoy the hike rather than focus on a list.

I think everyone uses a list, weather or not they compile it. If you have criteria for your hikes, it results in a list, regardless of whether that criteria are inclusive or exclusive. If one were to look at their list and say, 'hey, I would totally hike [something that isn't only the list]', or conversely 'I would never hike [something that is on the list]', then the list can be updated. Eventually one ends up with a list of hikes someone is willing and interested in doing, which may or may not be completed one day.

So, to those who say I don't do lists because I'll never do [a particular hike], I say that it's irrelevant because it's not on your list anyway. That said, no one should feel compelled to hike anyone else's list, nor be made to feel bad about their own.

I think everyone uses a list, weather or not they compile it. If you have criteria for your hikes, it results in a list, regardless of whether that criteria are inclusive or exclusive. If one were to look at their list and say, 'hey, I would totally hike [something that isn't only the list]', or conversely 'I would never hike [something that is on the list]', then the list can be updated. Eventually one ends up with a list of hikes someone is willing and interested in doing, which may or may not be completed one day.

So, to those who say I don't do lists because I'll never do [a particular hike], I say that it's irrelevant because it's not on your list anyway. That said, no one should feel compelled to hike anyone else's list, nor be made to feel bad about their own.

I'm probably missing your point. I do not use list. In fact, 75% of the time I go hiking, I don't know what I'm going to hike until I get to exit 32.

I'm probably missing your point. I do not use list. In fact, 75% of the time I go hiking, I don't know what I'm going to hike until I get to exit 32.

The point is subtle and almost certainly pedantic. :)

In the example you give, it seems as though some hikes are more probable than others, as any hike south of Lincoln (say, Red Hill) is not likely to be hiked that day. It's also likely that you're going to hike something you're already familiar with (redline vs non-redline), and if you want a view with your hike, the list of options further contracts. Again, these are hypotheticals - I'm not familiar with your actual decision process, but I assume there is one, even if it's only loosely defined. :)

My point is that for any given hike, there is a finite list of options, and that when you aggregate every list of options from every hike, you are left with 'your list'.

Of course, I can be out-pedanticked by someone who claims you can never hike the same hike twice, and all lists are infinite. ;)

In the example you give, it seems as though some hikes are more probable than others, as any hike south of Lincoln (say, Red Hill) is not likely to be hiked that day. It's also likely that you're going to hike something you're already familiar with (redline vs non-redline), and if you want a view with your hike, the list of options further contracts. Again, these are hypotheticals - I'm not familiar with your actual decision process, but I assume there is one, even if it's only loosely defined. :)

My point is that for any given hike, there is a finite list of options, and that when you aggregate every list of options from every hike, you are left with 'your list'.

Of course, I can be out-pedanticked by someone who claims you can never hike the same hike twice, and all lists are infinite. ;)

Do you work in some sort of legal profession? You seem to really enjoy the nuances of grammar, syntax and word choice in everyone's posts. :p

Do you work in some sort of legal profession? You seem to really enjoy the nuances of grammar, syntax and word choice in everyone's posts. :p
I just think the “Hoilday Brownies” were good this year in his neck of the woods.;):D

Last I checked, IT and coding are not prohibited, so yes, I do work in a legal profession. :)

We convey our ideas through language, which I do find to be very interesting. I do like to challenge assumptions that are baked into everyday conversation - and those challenges, more often than not, come out as absurdity. :p

Last edited:
Think I answered this question the last time it was posed, but... Long-term hiking should involve whatever it is you want it to involve! Some of us thrive on lists, others don't. HYOH! Be true to yourself and don’t judge others’ motivations!

I think everyone uses a list, weather or not they compile it. If you have criteria for your hikes, it results in a list, regardless of whether that criteria are inclusive or exclusive.

I OBJECT YOUR HONOR!!

Counsel's use of the term "LIST" in the above context is both vague and incorrect, and he confuses the matter by that usage. To wit...

The hiking community has a very precise definition of the term "LIST." And any hiker worth her or his moleskin can tell you that definition. It is as follows;

A LIST is a collection of two or more hikes (usually to mountain summits). In addition, (and this is the key point) a list is recognized and sanctioned by a formal or informal hiking organization, club or community. And lastly, completion of a LIST is often commemorated by an award such as a certificate, badge or other item suitable for framing.

Counsel's notion that a list equates to some type of willy-nilly , "do your own thing," amalgam of 60s free love and joy is totally misleading and subverts the essence of this cantankerous thread.

OBJECTION SUSTAINED!!

CB

I OBJECT YOUR HONOR!!

Counsel's use of the term "LIST" in the above context is both vague and incorrect, and he confuses the matter by that usage. To wit...

The hiking community has a very precise definition of the term "LIST." And any hiker worth her or his moleskin can tell you that definition. It is as follows;

A LIST is a collection of two or more hikes (usually to mountain summits). In addition, (and this is the key point) a list is recognized and sanctioned by a formal or informal hiking organization, club or community. And lastly, completion of a LIST is often commemorated by an award such as a certificate, badge or other item suitable for framing.

Counsel's notion that a list equates to some type of willy-nilly , "do your own thing," amalgam of 60s free love and joy is totally misleading and subverts the essence of this cantankerous thread.

OBJECTION SUSTAINED!!

CB
Well put! No Holiday Brownies involved here.

I'll give you some perimeters to work with here. My decision process is very simple, I drive up North, pick a 4k or two and hike. You are trying your best to make it a complicated process, unfortunately, in my case, it's anything but.:p

I'll give you some perimeters to work with here. My decision process is very simple, I drive up North, pick a 4k or two and hike. You are trying your best to make it a complicated process, unfortunately, in my case, it's anything but.:p

This is enough for me to start the flowchart. :)

I don't use any lists, however, my hikes are not random either. Ever since I got involved with marking trails on OpenStreetMap.org I try to find places where trails are either missing or are likely incorrectly marked. I bring my gps (or two) along, and I try to fill in blank spots on the map or correct whatever was poorly marked.

A lot of it comes down to personality type and there really is no “right” answer here.

When I’m not in the mountains, I have always tended to be organized and enjoy planning and big projects and that sort of thing. Type A in some respects, I suppose. So keeping lists and checking off peaks and planning hikes/climbs many months in advance has always appealed to me. I need that part of the equation to motivate me.

Having said that, when I get to the mountains and start heading for whatever the objective is, I switch to more of type B mode. Just let the hike/climb happen and let the mountain and weather dictate the end result. Never been a “summit at all costs” type. Have always had the attitude that the mountain will be there another day if I “need” to go back. Tends to be a good approach, IMO, since I am solo about 95-percent of the time.

So I guess my greater point is that it’s hard to put peakbaggers in one box over here and non-peakbaggers in a different box over there. There’s a lot of cross-over in personality traits from one group to another and the traits that bind us are greater than the differences between us.