Hiking insurance coverage in Europe.

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hillwalker

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
OK, this is not a typical VFFT subject, but I'm pretty sure that some of our member do hike across the water at times. If so, this may be of interest to you.

Trip Insurance: Over the past several years I have been using an insurance plan which covers accidents, medical, and repatriation in the event I become ill, injured, or expire during my mountain hiking/climbing trips to Scotland, and the last two trips to hike in the Spanish Pyrenees. Since I am 78 years old, and that this will be my 5th trip to Spain in a row, my leaving this mortal coil while on the trail is a distinct possibility. Curious as to whether my Austrian Alpine Club (UK) insurance would cover me on the Camino, I asked the insurance company (Alpenverein Worldwide Service (AWS) if walking on the Camino de Santiago would be covered. I received the answer this morning, and it is covered. My annual membership fee, which covers the insurance is only $58.00 US. Comparable travel insurance coverage from a US company is from $250 to $750. For more information click here: https://aacuk.org.uk/

OK, this is not a typical VFFT subject, but I'm pretty sure that some of our member do hike across the water at times. If so, this may be of interest to you.

Trip Insurance: Over the past several years I have been using an insurance plan which covers accidents, medical, and repatriation in the event I become ill, injured, or expire during my mountain hiking/climbing trips to Scotland, and the last two trips to hike in the Spanish Pyrenees. Since I am 78 years old, and that this will be my 5th trip to Spain in a row, my leaving this mortal coil while on the trail is a distinct possibility. Curious as to whether my Austrian Alpine Club (UK) insurance would cover me on the Camino, I asked the insurance company (Alpenverein Worldwide Service (AWS) if walking on the Camino de Santiago would be covered. I received the answer this morning, and it is covered. My annual membership fee, which covers the insurance is only $58.00 US. Comparable travel insurance coverage from a US company is from $250 to $750. For more information click here: https://aacuk.org.uk/
This is great info. I know someone headed to the Camino this Spring and will certainly benefit from this info. Certainly can come in handy. I’ve seen folks airlifted more than once and insurance saved from having a pretty hefty bill. Some don’t realize that the Hike Safe card is a major bargain.

I'm also headed to the Camino on April 30 for my third time. My last two trips out of a total of five to Spain have been for hiking on the ruta Transpirenaica trail, GR11. The Spanish and French high mountain huts (refuges) give a pretty good discount for membership in this club. Not to mention all the other huts in the Alps.