Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 28 of 28

Thread: No Treads on NE Trail Conditions - NH

  1. #16
    Senior Member sierra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    New hampshire
    Posts
    2,427
    I rarely post TR's anywhere. I rarely read them as well. I'm not really interested in them to be honest. I know what the trends are in regards to the trails and conditions. I'd rather just go and see what I see. A couple points in regards to social media. Firstly, I find it curious that many seek so many details of a hike. Some of the questions can be about the smallest detail, I mean, zero sense of exploration or any sense of adventure. Secondly, many times questions on FB turn into a burning at the stake for the person asking. Funny thing about that is, the people lighting the stake are not that experienced at all. I once got in a heated back and forth with someone in a FB group I'm in, when at one point, I asked his level of experience. His reply, I just finished the 48 so I know what I'm talking about. Wow 48 mountains!! I then moved on quickly. I would say your getting experienced when your in the hundreds, at least. In regards to the low volume of reports, cold, storms and tough conditions. A good percentage of the hard core hikers out there, probably don't bother posting reports.

  2. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Gorham NH
    Posts
    5,182
    Trail reports used to be far more important when the trails were far less used in the winter. It used to be that it may take quite awhile before the more remote summits were broken out. I expect I helped break about 20% of my first round of 48s in the early 90s. Theses days I would bet all the major routes are broken out within a couple of days (assuming we have reasonable weather in the preceding days)

  3. #18
    Administrator Kimball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Goffstown, NH
    Posts
    50
    Quote Originally Posted by TJsName View Post
    1.) Are you noticing fewer viewers in addition to fewer posts?
    2.) Are you noticing fewer posts in the Whites, or all regions?
    3.) Is the average number of posts per using decreasing, or is the average number of unique posters going down? Or some combination of the two?

    1) It's hard to say. Before the weird weather (flood damaged trails, then brutal cold) showed up, traffic was above last years numbers.
    Snow pack has a lot to do with traffic too. You can see with Google Trends users searching for trail conditions can be down one winter and then up the next. https://trends.google.com/trends/exp...l%20Conditions


    2) My gut feel is the ADK reports are about normal, and the Whites are down quite a bit. When work is not straight out I'll run some reports and post the results.

    3) I've never looked at the trends by user but that would be interesting. When I have time I will.
    NH 4000 x8, NE 4000 x2, NEHH x1, Presi Traverse x8, Pemi Loop x12, Double Presi Traverse x1, ADK 46 x1.

    TrailsNH.com

  4. #19
    Member TwinMom+1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Andover MA
    Posts
    86
    I beg to differ on the importance of trail condition reports. Perhaps it's because I hike with my autistic sons, so I exercise extreme caution, wanting G2 on seemingly dumb issues that might make a difference to our success.But I always check NETC first. Certainly with the latest high waters and freeze/thaw cycle I appreciate a heads-up on things even more. Often posts are idea starters for trails I may not have considered. I always think of posting a TR as good stewardship to the hiking community and try to do so unless there's a rash of others before me saying the same thing.

    Yeah the FB groups are often filled with braggarts having little real knowledge etc. I try to overlook that and get what I want from skimming them, if only to know a trail is broken out in winter and perhaps a little easier. And paying it forward to the extent that I can.

  5. #20
    Senior Member TJsName's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    'Springtime' on the Carters (Somerville, MA)
    Posts
    1,653
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimball View Post
    1) It's hard to say. Before the weird weather (flood damaged trails, then brutal cold) showed up, traffic was above last years numbers.
    Snow pack has a lot to do with traffic too. You can see with Google Trends users searching for trail conditions can be down one winter and then up the next. https://trends.google.com/trends/exp...l%20Conditions


    2) My gut feel is the ADK reports are about normal, and the Whites are down quite a bit. When work is not straight out I'll run some reports and post the results.

    3) I've never looked at the trends by user but that would be interesting. When I have time I will.

    Interesting - and thanks for your thoughts and effort on this. The link to Google trends was really interesting. I added a few terms, and interestingly, "Trails NH" (with a space) has a lot more hits, but almost the opposite timing. I wonder if that's caused more by tourists than by regionally avid hikers. I.E., is there a disconnect between people looking for a hike, but not being aware they can find condition reports? Of course, I suspect that for most people, Googling 'Trails NH' will bring up your website as the first listing (if not the first several). I'm wondering if you named it according to Google trends, or if people are googling intentionally to find your site.
    | 62.2% W48: 19/48
    Trail Adopter of the Guinea Pond Trail (Pemi District)

  6. #21
    Senior Member richard's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    manchester nh
    Posts
    226
    I agree. I’d like to know ahead of time what the TC will be like before deciding if,when & where I’m going. There are plenty of hiking places to go closer to home that I can use until conditions improve up north. For me it’s “better to be safe than sorry “. Besides, that “anything you can do, i can do better “ attitude is way behind me now.
    Quote Originally Posted by TwinMom+1 View Post
    I beg to differ on the importance of trail condition reports. Perhaps it's because I hike with my autistic sons, so I exercise extreme caution, wanting G2 on seemingly dumb issues that might make a difference to our success.But I always check NETC first. Certainly with the latest high waters and freeze/thaw cycle I appreciate a heads-up on things even more. Often posts are idea starters for trails I may not have considered. I always think of posting a TR as good stewardship to the hiking community and try to do so unless there's a rash of others before me saying the same thing.

    Yeah the FB groups are often filled with braggarts having little real knowledge etc. I try to overlook that and get what I want from skimming them, if only to know a trail is broken out in winter and perhaps a little easier. And paying it forward to the extent that I can.

  7. #22
    Administrator Kimball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Goffstown, NH
    Posts
    50
    Quote Originally Posted by TJsName View Post
    ... is there a disconnect between people looking for a hike, but not being aware they can find condition reports?
    Ding, ding ding,.... That "disconnect" is like the size of the grand canyon. The people that discover hiking through social media only see a picture of the spot/summit usually without any details. They don't know about guide books, trail etiquette, LNT, or resources like VFTT and TrailsNH. The smart ones will at least google the name.

    Google Trends comparison is confusing. Look at trends for one summit at a time like (Mount Major, Monadnock, Moosilauke) the amount of searches is huge.

    Quote Originally Posted by TJsName View Post
    ... I suspect that for most people, Googling 'Trails NH' will bring up your website as the first listing (if not the first several). I'm wondering if you named it according to Google trends, or if people are googling intentionally to find your site.
    I didn't know Google Trends existed when I came up with the name 9 years ago. I just like short domain names and this one was available. TrailsNH.com will/should be listed first when you Google "Trails NH" but why they search for that I don't know, unless they can't quite remember the name.
    NH 4000 x8, NE 4000 x2, NEHH x1, Presi Traverse x8, Pemi Loop x12, Double Presi Traverse x1, ADK 46 x1.

    TrailsNH.com

  8. #23
    Member Bushwacked's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Way up high
    Posts
    53
    Thanks everyone and sorry to go missing after posting...work sucked and it's been desks, planes and airports versus mountains, streams and trails. To be honest when I started the thread, i hadn't looked at the VFTT Trail reports in a while so hadn't realized that post volume was down as much. FWIW, I always found the VFTT community to be good posters about the trail conditions (parking lot not plowed or drifted, blow downs, snow shoes needed, put crampons on at xx section, etc.). I've used and will continue use some of the other resources mentioned. In the past, I could find 411 on most any of the trails in Franconia, Garfield, Galehead, Presidentials etc on VFTT. Sorry to see that gone. Thanks again.

  9. #24
    Moderator bikehikeskifish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    New Hampshire
    Posts
    5,375
    The reason VFTT rose to the preeminent source of information is because it was the only game in town, and it was more focused than the Usenet groups. It is a generic format forum, so it's not particularly good at any one thing... Over time, the trail conditions migrated because there are other formats that are much superior to a generic text block. Over time, the trip reports migrated to social media because people want pictures rather than 1000 words. What remains a strong selling point here is Q&A - because the membership has collectively more experience (per capita) than many other sources.

    I know it is still valuable to many of you because I got an outpouring of financial support when I asked Enough for 2+ more years in fact.

    Tim
    Bike, Hike, Ski, Sleep. Eat, Fish, Repeat.

  10. #25
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Gorham NH
    Posts
    5,182
    My approach is to use the Newenglandtrailconditions site for a basic trail report as its quicker and a standardized format. If the trail report is going to be more verbose I usually post it in the trip reports forum on VFTT. I find that when I am searching for arcane rarely visited locations, the VFTT reports usually pop up in google search quicker than other options but it could just be my bias.

  11. #26
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Ipswich, MA
    Posts
    132
    Quote Originally Posted by peakbagger View Post
    My approach is to use the Newenglandtrailconditions site for a basic trail report as its quicker and a standardized format. If the trail report is going to be more verbose I usually post it in the trip reports forum on VFTT. I find that when I am searching for arcane rarely visited locations, the VFTT reports usually pop up in google search quicker than other options but it could just be my bias.
    When researching my bushwhacks, VFTT is practically the only resource that comes up.
    Last edited by JoshandBaron; 02-01-2018 at 07:45 AM.

  12. #27
    Moderator bikehikeskifish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    New Hampshire
    Posts
    5,375
    And yet VFTT was soundly booed whenever bushwhack routes were publicized... at least 'back in the days'. I see plenty of bushwhacks on Facebook and Strava - they just don't appear in Google search results because Strava and Facebook's robots policy prevent it. And I don't see people beating other people up over posting them either.

    Tim
    Bike, Hike, Ski, Sleep. Eat, Fish, Repeat.

  13. #28
    Member TwinMom+1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Andover MA
    Posts
    86
    Quote Originally Posted by bikehikeskifish View Post
    I know it is still valuable to many of you because I got an outpouring of financial support when I asked Enough for 2+ more years in fact.

    Tim
    So glad to hear you got the needed funding, Tim. Thank you for your devotion to this community.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •