Ammo Rescue with SPOT

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
An oxymoron, Had a hike safe card and did not carry her snowshoes, is that hiking safely? Sometimes you don't have to be off trail, the snow may drift in to fill the trail. There are several trails this happens on, especially high up but just below treeline or high wooded ridges like the Twinway, parts of Franconia Ridge, Carter-Moriah or the Garfield Ridge Trail.

That said, I've been the hiker who left the snowshoes in the car, it was the day I met the originator of this site. No rescue but by the time we reached the junction at the top of Pierce with just a couple of 100 feet to walk in the fog and one more drift to clear, we turned around.

How do you know that it was a Spot and not some other device?

Sorry, I was using SPOT in the generic sense. Referenced article does not identify locator brand.

As far as snowshoes go, we all know they get heavier the closer to the trail head you get! See this trip report for the same day that describes how deep snow was on Jewell trail. Luckily they had a big party to share breaking.

cb