Pilot pliny range info (ISO )

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tahoma

Reaction score
Anyone familiar with winter crossing of Kilkenny Ridge across the Weeks? Curious also about continuing on north of the horn and Bulge towards Stark in winter. Are these lesser traveled connections overgrown or rarely cared for? Coverage has to be thin after the huge rain. I'm thinking it might be fun to run from Jefferson to Stark on Friday. I'm open to any input. Thanks.

I will admit it has been a few years, but my last winter trip on that route was on an Easter weekend. The stretch from Cabot to Unknown pond was traveled only but some inconsiderate moose with no snowshoes on. It was brutal. The trails themselves are easy to follow in other months.

Today with more traffic about, I would expect there to be some other activty, but still not a lot compared to other peaks.

There is pretty steady traffic of late from Cabot to Unknown Pond as its pretty popular loop. Its quite rare to see much traffic between Unknown Pond and Stark.

The stretch of the KRT over the Terraces usually gets uniform abuse over lack of blazing and general trail condition. The climb up out of York Notch runs through White Birches with a fairly open understory, most follow the trail bed in the summer as the blazes inevitably peel of the birches. Middle and North Terrace have stretches through dense fir regeneration with occasional older deadfalls to make progress slow.

From two days ago: http://www.newenglandtrailconditions.com/nh/viewreport.php?entryid=34018

(Just a general observation and not directed to you specifically, but I'm curious why people don't seem to check the trail conditions sites first for this info.)

Hey Dingo, I looked under NH on this site but didn't know about the site above. I even saw one titled for Waumbek and Cabot but it was from well before the winter months. If you look at my question, Im actually not requesting recent trail conditions as much as general question about if the trail is typically obvious in winter or are there sections where it is "lost" and a gps track might be useful. I had read a bit somewhere on a blog that a couple guys had a hard time with the untraveled sections like Peakbagger describes. I was just looking for others beta. Although recent trail conditions are helpful as well!

Last edited:
Thanks guys, I've run from the fishery around the loop a couple times a few years ago (bulge, horn, cabot). Only 1 spot I recall that gets a bit funky that follows the stream bed up or I think there was an older trail also...
Anyway, Ive never been across KKR and the Weeks trio. Are the summits on trail or are they bushwhacks?