Beaver Brook Rest Area

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DayTrip

Reaction score
On my way up to Zealand SUN I stopped as I often do at the little parking/rest area for Beaver River X-Country trails on Rte 3 and discovered the outhouses were nailed shut. Is this a function of the temporary government shut down or some other reason? As someone who gets up at 2AM and drives 3-4 hours to reach trailheads the status of available bathrooms along my route is quite relevant.

Curious if other rest area facilities have been closed, any lots that usually get plowed are no longer being plowed, etc. If anyone knows I'd appreciate the info. There are no entries under "Alerts And Notices" on the WMNF website but I have no idea how up to date that is with new developments.

Last edited:
I read somewhere (probably Facebook, but I can't find the thread right now) that the bathrooms at Beaver Brook were closed due to repeated vandalism. I haven't seen an official notice, though.

I read somewhere (probably Facebook, but I can't find the thread right now) that the bathrooms at Beaver Brook were closed due to repeated vandalism. I haven't seen an official notice, though.

This is why we can't have crappy things.

It was posted on one of the FB 4K sites by a guy I know. Whom also hikes a lot with someone who does a lot of work with the USFS. I assume that's where he got his info. and it is because of all the vandalism that they are closed.

It was posted on one of the FB 4K sites by a guy I know. Whom also hikes a lot with someone who does a lot of work with the USFS. I assume that's where he got his info. and it is because of all the vandalism that they are closed.

Those outhouses are generally in pretty good condition, certainly way better than Lafayette and others I frequent. Not sure if they're tossing stuff down the hole though. Bummer.

Those outhouses are generally in pretty good condition, certainly way better than Lafayette and others I frequent. Not sure if they're tossing stuff down the hole though. Bummer.

Without getting too graphic, years back it was a meeting spot for some nefarious activity...

I've made many a stops there myself and have never noticed thing. But then again I try not to hang out in those things for too long.:)

Without getting too graphic, years back it was a meeting spot for some nefarious activity...

To bad it's closed, I used it frequently. On one day, I was just inside the woods line walking my dog and I saw a car pull up. My sixth sense is uncanny and sure enough, this guy walked towards me and said, hello there. I said, I'm only going to say this once, get the fuck away from me, even my dog was on edge. He turned and jumped in his car and took off. I'm glad, I really wasn't in the mood to dig a big hole.:eek:

To bad it's closed, I used it frequently. On one day, I was just inside the woods line walking my dog and I saw a car pull up. My sixth sense is uncanny and sure enough, this guy walked towards me and said, hello there. I said, I'm only going to say this once, get the fuck away from me, even my dog was on edge. He turned and jumped in his car and took off. I'm glad, I really wasn't in the mood to dig a big hole.:eek:
At least it wasn’t Gary Moody otherwise he might have already been in the hole.

Is it still the preferred parking lot for winter access to Galehead and a good route for South Twin? That's how I did them back in a year that began with a 1......