Dry Tortugas Camping Beta Needed

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I believe the campground is bring-your-own-water, so bring plenty. Other than that, did you have any specific questions? Bring sunscreen and bug spray and toys for playing in the water. I beleive it is possible to bring a kayak or similar small craft on the ferry, check with them in advance. A wetsuit is a good idea - water temperatures in March are typically in the 70s F.

I used to live in the Keys though I have not visited Tortuga park. Bugs should not be too bad since there's usually an ocean breeze and the island is relatively dry, but bring some bug spray just in case. Also have a plan for making extra shade at your campsite - on hot days a typical tent becomes a solar oven.

Last edited:
I believe the campground is bring-your-own-water, so bring plenty. Other than that, did you have any specific questions?

I've heard tell there are rats on the island and food needs to be contained at all times. Wondered how bad a prob it really is.

Also read that they run generators for power 24/7. Was curious about that reality too!

Also understand you can use only Sterno stoves or charcoal cause boat won't transport any other type of fuel.

Roger on the sun shade , wet suit and water.

Thanks,

cb

Rats are easier to deal with than bears - keeping all your food in a cooler will do the trick. Just have a plan for keeping your trash protected too - I doubt the park provides anything as the rule is carry-in, carry-out.