Neil Luckhurst Project 100

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jazzbo

Reaction score
Waltham, MA Jazzbo & Marty meet Bigfoot on Kenne
Thanks to Steve Smith for his recent posting on his Mountain Wandering blog about Neil Luckhurst fund raising Project 100. I can't believe it hasn't found its way on to VFTT. Perhaps due to VFTT policy against using site for fund raising???

To quote Steve

With a little help from his friends, Adirondack hiker/bushwhacker extraordinaire Neil Luckhurst is attempting to hike all of the 100 Highest Adirondack peaks this calendar winter as a fundraiser for the ADK High Peaks Foundation.

Link to Neil's Project 100 blog is here.

https://project100singlewinter.wordpress.com/

Besides being an extraordinary outdoors-man, Neil is excellent writer. His narratives of various outings are awesome and full of incisive insights into winter travel techniques, gear and training. I highly recommend viewers check out this blog.

One interesting incident is Neil and his hiking partner for the day came to the aid of an injured hiker during their descent of Giant Mountain at the end of a grueling three-peak trek and kept her warm and safe until DEC rangers arrived for the carryout.

As far as I know there is no policy in place against fundraising, Darren used to do a yearly fundraiser for the Brain Tumor Society. As long as its legit fundraiser (which it appears to be)

There was significant controversy long ago when an individual was doing a fundraiser centered around 4000 footers. The individual was upset when queried publicly about taking expenses out of the funds raised and was not operating under any formal non profit entity and as such there was no audit trail if donations and purchases of DVDs were actually going to the intended charity. The resulting controversy was one of the reported reasons for the split off of a block of VFTT folks who formed Rocks on Top, which was quite active for several years until the moderator stepped down. It had some popularity as there were non public forums in addition to public forums. I expect that a Facebook group could serve the same function instead of dedicated forum which is why it ceased to exist. The site remained as a "zombie site" for some period of time before it went out of existence. The individual behind the fundraiser was quite a VFTT basher after he was banned and continued on to be legend in his own mind on other forums.

http://www.vftt.org/tos.html

9.3:

No flames, personal attacks, politics, religion, advertising (posts, signatures, etc., can not include links to commercial websites; avatars cannot be advertisements or products from which the owner profits, etc.), foul language, or fund raising (charities or otherwise).

The reason being is that we don't want to be in the business of determining legitimacy and having to start down slippery slopes.

Tim

http://www.vftt.org/tos.html

9.3:

No flames, personal attacks, politics, religion, advertising (posts, signatures, etc., can not include links to commercial websites; avatars cannot be advertisements or products from which the owner profits, etc.), foul language, or fund raising (charities or otherwise).

The reason being is that we don't want to be in the business of determining legitimacy and having to start down slippery slopes.

Tim

I think this is a good policy, although I don't have a problem with discussion of the activity (which is relevant to the board), any solicitation would be inappropriate, IMO.

I think this is a good policy, although I don't have a problem with discussion of the activity (which is relevant to the board), any solicitation would be inappropriate, IMO.

I regret getting off on fund raising sidetrack . The "discussion of the activity" and his high quality web site is principle intention of this thread. I found blog post account of the assistance given to injured hiker on Giant an excellent and informative read. Brilliant discussion of how to assess injury and proper methods for administering Wilderness First Aid.

Another great link in Neil's blog site is section on Hiking Fitness Toolbox - Training, eating and fueling for endurance hiking. This is must read for training for endurance hiking or even casual weekend hiker just trying to improve his game.

Checking the stats on the blog I noticed some hits from VFTT. Indeed, the no fund raising policy is why I haven't linked to the blog from here. However, I suspect that precluding any shills then no one would mind if I was "raising awareness" about the project itself.
It's a bear of a project and I spent 6 month rehabbing my left leg after a previous project (project Full Deck) then another 6 months using the training protocol from the excellent book, "Training for the New Alpinism" before I embarked on my first hike of the Project.
No doubt about it, the result is always in doubt unless I hit my 100th summit before midnight on March 21.
Pin-Pin did the ADK-HH with Tom Haskins (who did the Lower 54 and most of the 46 that same winter) back in '01-'02 I believe it was.
The richness of the experience thus far is hard to describe and the hiking partners who have joined me have been amazing. They have been indispensable in helping me get to 65 peaks up to now.
Latest blog post: https://project100singlewinter.wordpress.com/2018/02/13/february-16-17-18/

As far as I know there is no policy in place against fundraising, Darren used to do a yearly fundraiser for the Brain Tumor Society. As long as its legit fundraiser (which it appears to be)

There was significant controversy long ago when an individual was doing a fundraiser centered around 4000 footers. The individual was upset when queried publicly about taking expenses out of the funds raised and was not operating under any formal non profit entity and as such there was no audit trail if donations and purchases of DVDs were actually going to the intended charity. The resulting controversy was one of the reported reasons for the split off of a block of VFTT folks who formed Rocks on Top, which was quite active for several years until the moderator stepped down. It had some popularity as there were non public forums in addition to public forums. I expect that a Facebook group could serve the same function instead of dedicated forum which is why it ceased to exist. The site remained as a "zombie site" for some period of time before it went out of existence. The individual behind the fundraiser was quite a VFTT basher after he was banned and continued on to be legend in his own mind on other forums.
The history refresher is welcome but the personal bashing here is your opinion and is uncalled for.

The trip report on Neil and his partners completing the 5 Sawtooths in two days is absolutely amazing. Everyone should read that, it's awesome!

Latest blog post. We got our money's worth on Haystack-Basin and Saddleback. Doing Allen I had a mishap crossing Skylight brook on my way out.

Project -100 finished successfully on Kilburn Sunday March 18th, my 62nd birthday. And what a day that was!

I ran into a gentleman on the trail recently (possibly older than Neil), who told me he wanted to be like Neil when he grew up! :D I agreed!