Some Twin Mtn Area Observations

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peakbagger

Super Moderator
Staff member
VFTT Supporter
Reaction score
While making my occasional runs to Mass during the week I am starting to get bit more daylight although most days its start in the dark and end in the dark. One of the downsides of living where most people hike, is I occasionally need to make a living off the generosity of the Healthcare industry and NGrid in Mass ;)

I noticed a few unrelated things on the last few trips. The Haystack Road (FR 304) has been plowed out to the gate. First time in many years I have seen it plowed. I expect its in response to the Little River Road situation. There is not a lot of room but with some care, several cars could probably be packed in as long as they are in group so a couple of cars could be blocked in. Traditionally this was posted no parking. Not sure who plowed it. If the warm weather and longer days hang around, the banks may melt back and open up more room.

I didn't look closely but I don't think Garfield road has been plowed open. I think they did it the year they were rebuilding the bridges and kept it up for year or two after. The state is good in that they open up Five Corners parking just up the road so its not a major issue for hikers, just a bit more length to an already long road walk.

The other thing of note is the variety store immediately adjacent to the Post Office and fire station north of the lights on RT 302 has a big sign in front "Open Soon under New Management". It has been closed since last fall. There are lot of contractor trucks parked there. They appear to be making major interior renovations. The prior owners management approach was somewhat unusual and the pro gun posters plastered on the walls didn't seem to set up a good vibe for a typical customer. More than a few hikers I have met went in their once under the prior owner and elected to take their business elsewhere. There was also a decided absence of inventory of known national brands (or inventory in general). Plus the lack of the sandwich shop out back probably cut back on customers. They will be in competition with Fosters Crossroads which is in more visible location but despite the new pumps has not done a lot to improve the interior beyond expanding the coolers. I think the store being renovated has better access for snowmobiles and wonder if maybe its a good spot for snowmobile rentals given the large parking lot across the street. Add in a small deli with breakfast sandwiches like Fabyan's Store at Bretton Woods and I think they have potential. I have always been surprised why an Irving corporate gas station hasn't been built in this area but maybe even they worry about the "commercial curse" of Twin Mountain.

Unfortunately Twin Mountain really only can support one variety store and there are effectively three including the campground store at Living Waters CG. Unless things have changed Living Waters does not sell beer but they do have a restroom, Fosters doesn't have a sandwich shop or a rest room (and really could use either a good fire or major rehab of the building) and the one being renovated is about 1/4 mile north from much higher traffic and previously had a porta potty out back.

Nevertheless I hope the Twin Mountain curse doesn't land on the new owners doorstep and when they open up I will give them a try.

Years ago there was a group of VFTT folks who camped in Twin Mtn but they no longer post very often if at all maybe they moved on or graduated to fancier accommodations.

Fosters used to have a rest room; did they close off access to it? You had to wander a ways into the store to find it, but it was there.

You could be right. I heard a couple of folks on group hike complaining at one point about lack of one but havent gone looking myself. I do remember they replaced a septic system at some point when the new owners came in.

Twin Mt. has always been a funky town. In my 40 year's passing and stopping through town, the changes have been unusual. I miss the old town store from way back. Foster's has never been much, although the last owners had some nice ladies working there and my dog loved to visit the store. I'm glad to hear that that convenience store by the rest area is going to re-open. I stopped going after seeing all that pro-gun stuff, it was too weird for me. I rarely use LW store, just doesn't really do it for me. One place I did like was the bagel place that has since gone under. A nice couple ran it and the food was good and I like supporting a family run business, alas there is just not enough traffic for a business model like that. Unfortunately, Twin Mt's curse seems to be, it's a place people just pass through, not enough stay to support a steady clientele. If the new store owners do it right they have a chance, but they need to have a deli, imo.

That west entrance to Gale River Loop Road was definitely being plowed to that small lot they made for equipment. I think they did for 2 or 3 winters anyway. It is not plowed at all now. People are back to parking at 5 Corners for Garfield.

We also drove by both spots this morning and noticed Haystack Rd had been plowed to the gate. Parking would be as Peakbagger noted. The Garfield lot had not been plowed. On our way back six hours later, we noticed that the Garfield access parking lot has also now been plowed with plenty of parking there.

The blue country store is now owned by a Twin Mountain local and a successful contractor. He plans on reopening the deli.

Thanks for hearing from some real "locals" ;)

Its good they are getting some parking open at the trailheads as we are coming into the presidents day school weeks.

Great news on the store, there definitely a market for some basic deli food in town. The sandwich shop next to living waters tends to be pricey.

Thanks for hearing from some real "locals" ;)

Its good they are getting some parking open at the trailheads as we are coming into the presidents day school weeks.

Great news on the store, there definitely a market for some basic deli food in town. The sandwich shop next to living waters tends to be pricey.

Plus the sandwich shop is never open.. at least when I always have gone by over the years. hopefully this new place will offer good food and open year round and most days.

Twin Mountain is one of my favorite places in the Whites.

Over the years, the store in TM has changed. I recall getting sandwiches from the deli in back and I sat at a table on the "deck" with a muffin and coffee more than once. That was maybe 15 years ago. It was an inviting place for a gas station. They rented VHS tapes. Over time, it became increasingly sparse and somewhat abrasive. The 8x11 pro-gun signs showed up on what seemed like every available inch of wall space. Many were put up with blue painter's tape. Regardless of political opinions, it was simply odd to see. Some might say it was more than odd. The deli was closed and cleared of equipment at one point and left empty. The shelves became more and more bare, dust on old cans. Eventually they stopped taking credit cards and had a hand written cash-only sign and something about government theft. They stopped selling gas. With only coffee, candy bars, cans, trail mix, and aggressive signs...

The writing actually was on the wall in this situation.

The proprietor had a really "interesting" demeanor. That said, I was always treated well in the store even as it changed over time. Glad to hear it is getting a second go.

Over the years, I always stopped at that now closed store, both north and south bound for snacks, coffee, food, and last minute supplies. It is important to keep community businesses for many reasons. However, when the new owner redecorated every possible inch, and if you went there you know what I mean, I stopped going in there, I'm not supporting "that". Now that I live up here, I make every effort to buy at local business if possible. Glad to see new investment in that building, and am looking forward to shopping there again. After all, the community is us.

I'm going to really date myself here. How many remember the lounge that was up past the country store on the right?

I do, they were supposed to reopen soon but never did. I didnt go there often but know more than few folks who did. With a state police barracks right down the road it was not such a good place to get a buzz on.

I can see carrying a concealed gun if you owned a convince store you owned.. I would ..those creeps would shot you anyway even if you gave them the money. And possibly posting a sign or two to give a hit the store supports gun rights.. to deter any robbery's.. they are hit up here as well. Littleton,Whitefield recently.. the guy must of been really paranoid if he had wall to wall signs like claimed above.

Part of the problem is, I've never actually walked up to an open business in Twin Mountain. After the first few times of finding a locked door with no hours or "out of business" sign posted, I just took for granted there wasn't any functional business and stopped even trying.

I'm going to really date myself here. How many remember the lounge that was up past the country store on the right?

Guilty. Many moons ago I had a girlfriend from Twin. I knew we went out one time when we were staying at her folks place, I just couldn't remember where. :rolleyes:

I stopped by the new store/delli next to the Twin Mountain Post office (just north of the intersection of RT3 and RT 302) now that they have been open for awhile as my first visit was soon after they have opened. The name of the store is Yaya's. The layout is quite similar to the old store with no major changes to the exterior except for a big addition in the back corner that houses what looks like it may be takeout window in the future and a kitchen. The interior layout is the same but appears to have been extensively renovated with major changes deli. The place is clean and well lit. The variety of goods is decided a lot less packed than Fosters. It looks like their goal is to keep the inventory turned over compated to keeping the shelves packed with slowmoving items. Its definitely not a campground store anymore so if you need paper plates and camping supplies, Living Waters campground store is probably a better choice. There appears to be an attempt at being competitive on gas prices but the reality is Twin Mountain is not the place to gas up compared to the gas stations off of I 93 in Meredith and Plymouth for those heading south.

I just got a small sub at the deli, the small size is almost the side of a 12 inch subway club, it was plenty of food for post hike. Plenty of meat in the sandwich. The only obvious issue is they use bagged rolls and I expect their volume isnt high enough yet to turn them over quick enough. They do have lot of grille options and pizza and expect those might be the better option. Pricing is lower than what the sandwich shop next to Living Waters has been in the last few years (but I havent stopped there yet this season to see who is running it now).

There looks to be a new septic system out back and the lot has been expanded and repaved. I didnt see a sign of new restrooms and the portapotty is still out back but expect that it may change once the septic system is finished.

They claim to be busy but considering it was the Saturday of bike weekend it didnt look that busy. This appears to me to be the big challenge, there is not enough local business to keep it busy so they are dependent on tourist traffic. If they dont get enough traffic it will be tough to keep the deli running.

Last edited:
They claim to be busy but considering it was the Saturday of bike weekend it didnt look that busy.

I did a sunrise hike SAT AM and drove home through Glen/Rte 302/Twin Mountain/Rte 3/Rte 93 and it didn't seem like there was a whole lot of bikes out. Weather was great for cruising too. Was a little surprised.

I stopped by the new store/delli next to the Twin Mountain Post office (just north of the intersection of RT3 and RT 302) now that they have been open for awhile as my first visit was soon after they have opened. The name of the store is Yaya's. The layout is quite similar to the old store with no major changes to the exterior except for a big addition in the back corner that houses what looks like it may be takeout window in the future and a kitchen. The interior layout is the same but appears to have been extensively renovated with major changes deli. The place is clean and well lit. The variety of goods is decided a lot less packed than Fosters. It looks like their goal is to keep the inventory turned over compated to keeping the shelves packed with slowmoving items. Its definitely not a campground store anymore so if you need paper plates and camping supplies, Living Waters campground store is probably a better choice. There appears to be an attempt at being competitive on gas prices but the reality is Twin Mountain is not the place to gas up compared to the gas stations off of I 93 in Meredith and Plymouth for those heading south.

I just got a small sub at the deli, the small size is almost the side of a 12 inch subway club, it was plenty of food for post hike. Plenty of meat in the sandwich. The only obvious issue is they use bagged rolls and I expect their volume isnt high enough yet to turn them over quick enough. They do have lot of grille options and pizza and expect those might be the better option. Pricing is lower than what the sandwich shop next to Living Waters has been in the last few years (but I havent stopped there yet this season to see who is running it now).

There looks to be a new septic system out back and the lot has been expanded and repaved. I didnt see a sign of new restrooms and the portapotty is still out back but expect that it may change once the septic system is finished.

They claim to be busy but considering it was the Saturday of bike weekend it didnt look that busy. This appears to me to be the big challenge, there is not enough local business to keep it busy so they are dependent on tourist traffic. If they dont get enough traffic it will be tough to keep the deli running.

In my youth, I was in the restaurant industry, actually started on course to be a Chef. The problem with small volume restaurants is you buy all that food and it expires before you can sell it. Not only that, they stretch the food beyond its freshness to save money, ( not all of them). I rarely buy food at low volume places for that reason. The fact that they are just past the intersection doesn't help either, turn right on 303 and you don't even see them. Oh well, I hope they do well, Ill check it out,

Twin Mountain Lives!

The fact that they are just past the intersection doesn't help either, turn right on 303 and you don't even see them. Oh well, I hope they do well, Ill check it out,

Just back from a mid-week fishing/hiking get-away. And an glad to report Twin Mountain seems to be doing fine.

After a brief stop at the Highland Center where my wife and I were informed that an overnight stay would cost us $260, (including a $35 penalty for only two of us in a 4-person room which was all they had to offer...and I'm a member!) we fled West to Twin Mountain in search of something we retirees could afford... and we found it.

A venerable Lodge called "Carlson's" booked us in to a really nice room for $119. The funky old place has been in the family for a loooong time, was well run, impeccably clean, and had a vibe similar the old Polly's Pancake Parlor. And a continental bkf was included. It is located on 302, 0.5m west of the intersection. Really cool place.

Then we discovered a GREAT food truck just down the road from Carlson's Lodge. It's called the 302 Grille and has a huge menu, including blackened Fish tacos! Also offers full line of Gifford's ice cream. No kidding, this place has one of the most extensive truck menus I've seen. Moderately priced and really worth a try.

Finally, YaYas store on Rt 3 just north of the intersection is open at 6am and provides breakfast sandwiches, coffee, etc. to-go for you early risers.

From what I could see, Twin Mountain is alive and well this summer season! (Just head west or north from that well known intersection.)

cb