Anyone going hiking during the heat wave?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SherpaWill

Reaction score
Heading up on Wednesday. We were going to do Monroe but it looks like ideal conditions for hypothermia above tree line so were probably going to something more conservative like Hale. I don't think I've ever hiked in Winter with temps above 50.

Things to look out for will be rotting snow and brook and stream crossings, either with frozen ones failing, or high water that makes AM crossings difficult and PM crossings impossible. Forecast for Southern New England before the warm up is some rain, if you get rain or more snow, it will just make crossings hard. Monroe may be hard to reach by crossing Gem Pool.

Mix and snow forecasted for Southern New England this upcoming weekend, if it falls in NH as snow over slopes that melt and freeze, it may make avalanches conditions iffy also.

I hope to get out in CT Wednesday in shorts where our woods likely will be snow free but possibly muddy in places. May pick spots with harder trails like Rocky Neck or Bluff Point. May try taking out the bike on a paved bike path or greenway.

Last edited:
I was surprised that the crust is not that well developed in both Milan and Randolph NH. I had my MSR denalis on and was occasionally breaking through. I also postholed in a few spots crotch deep. I was mostly in hardwoods on south slopes. The main trails are packed and icy with fresh snow on top but step off to the side and you may be surprised. I expect the warms days and showers between today and Wednesday are going to really change up the conditions. At some point later in the week I think the crust may develop better once things switch back to below freezing nights and sunny days.

I'm thinking Cabot. Hopefully York Pond Road will thaw out so I can get to the dang trailhead. Will wear the powder shoes and smooth out the slush a bit.