Thread: Site makes me log in when making a long reply to a post

Site makes me log in when making a long reply to a post

I normally get VFTT on Firefox. I have to log in every time I go on the site. I just enter the first letter of my user name and Firefox autocompletes the name and password but the remember me box doesnt work. I also get a warning that this is not a secure site and my logins could be compromised

When I do a reply to a post and am composing it for a long period of time, when I go to reply I get warning that I am not logged in and dont have authorization to reply. I then have to copy the text, log out log back in again, find the thread, start a reply and then paste the text. When I hit reply it then accepts it. Definitely a PITA. Any suggestions? Maybe add a countdown clock?

1. Security - I can purchase an SSL (TLS) DV certificate, but at an added cost. It is highly recommended you use a throw-away password on insecure sites such as this. I am willing to get a certificate if people request it (we have enough $ for a few years now...)
    2. If you don't click remember me, then you will get logged out. Something is odd with Firefox. Maybe it thinks it is being secure or something? I do not have this problem with Chrome
    3. I cannot add a countdown clock - I didn't write the vBulletin software.

You can extend your timeout by occasionally hitting "Go Advanced" and then "Preview Post" (once in advanced mode) which will keep your session alive. Otherwise, you've already hit on the best suggestion which is to compose your long replies offline.

Tim
    Bike, Hike, Ski, Sleep. Eat, Fish, Repeat.

Not a problem, its throw away password. The remember me mode rarely works with firefox.

I usually compose a reply and let them sit for a bit to make sure I really want to post it.

I use firefox (on linux) and have no problem with the "remember me" button. I use it every time I log in. However, I log in manually. (I do not use auto-login--IMO it is just another place for an attacker to steal your login and password info.)

Doug