Campsites on the western approaches to the Carters?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dana

Reaction score
We're looking at doing a loop over the Carters using the Imp trail and Nineteen Mile Brook to the Carter Dome trail, probably including the bushwhack between Imp and NMB (or possibly a short road walk and bushwhack to the Imp from Camp Dodge). Anyway, depending on when we arrive it won't be a single day hike so I'm wondering if there are any good places to camp (and get water) along the route? This will be early October. Spending two nights at a location not far from the road and doing the loop as a day hike from there would be a good option, we might arrive at the trailhead after dark on a Friday night.. We may or may not swing south as far as Carter Notch, can one camp near the hut?

There is a large campsite down Wildcat River Trail right at the Carter Hut FPA. Thru hikers use it when they can't get WFS at the hut.

We're looking at doing a loop over the Carters using the Imp trail and Nineteen Mile Brook to the Carter Dome trail, probably including the bushwhack between Imp and NMB (or possibly a short road walk and bushwhack to the Imp from Camp Dodge). Anyway, depending on when we arrive it won't be a single day hike so I'm wondering if there are any good places to camp (and get water) along the route? This will be early October. Spending two nights at a location not far from the road and doing the loop as a day hike from there would be a good option, we might arrive at the trailhead after dark on a Friday night.. We may or may not swing south as far as Carter Notch, can one camp near the hut?

If you are willing to drop some elevation, I have camped with my hammock east of ZETA Pass. That is a special area zone due to being too popular, so the WMNF back-country restriction "No Camping, Wood or Charcoal Fires within 1/4 mile" applies.

https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/stelprdb5276606.pdf

You could also go down the Black Angel Trail to dispersed camping sites with water; again, you lose a bit of elevation.

Last edited:

If you're looking for a camping spot, why not stay at Barnes Field or Dolly Copp?

Last edited:
I don't like to camp somewhere else and then drive or roadwalk to start a hike; I like to get away from the road and wake up already on the trail the morning of the hike.

What about the area near the small pond on Nineteen Mile Brook (about 1/2 mile from the road)?

I don't like to camp somewhere else and then drive or roadwalk to start a hike; I like to get away from the road and wake up already on the trail the morning of the hike.

What about the area near the small pond on Nineteen Mile Brook (about 1/2 mile from the road)?

May want to look at a sat map. What pond?

The dam isn't someplace I would recommend.

Looking at the topo, I imagine that a bushwhack from the NMB Trailhead to Imp Trail, crossing Cowboy Brook at around the 1800 ft elev, would prove some nice opportunities.