Tracking a lynx near Moosehead Lake

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cool article.

One of my most exciting hiking memories was climbing Moosilauke in winter from the Glencliff side. When we reached south peak and crossed the ridge to the summit proper, there were rabbit tracks all over the place. On the way back (< 20 minutes later) the rabbit tracks were joined with some large cat tracks (either Lynx or bobcat), the two sets of tracks eventually joined, an needless to say, it did not end well for the rabbit according to the evidence (fur tufts, blood). It was amazing to know that in the short time we had been gone, such a visceral event had transpired. We tried to follow the cat tracks, but eventually they went into the underbrush (plus we didn't necessarily want to anger someone during their meal...).

I wish the pictures were bigger, so that I could actually see these tracks.

You may be able to enlarge it by copying it to another application. I copied it to Word and enlarged it but there isn't much detail to glean, as is often the case in the field. The lynx track is 2-3" larger than a bobcat which in turn is only slightly larger that a domestic cat ... except for a cat we once owned named "Paws". The lynx paw is about the same size as a mountain lion, surprisingly, and that accounts for its mobility in snow.