Which Trail? (Cannon Mountain)

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
High Cannon up, KRT to LL down. Much more interesting than the straight shot up and down from the ski area. I much prefer loop hikes than out and backs.

Coming up the Kinsman Ridge Trail from the ski area in winter can be present difficulties. When you get up to the "glade" ski trail that crosses the hiking trail you may have trouble following the hiking trail, particularly if there's been any fresh snow. On one attempt, I turned back at that point. ("where the hell?!). On another winter hike, I lost the hiking trail on the way down at this point and ended up bushwhacking my way to the ski lodge.

I like the Kinsman Ridge Trail up and back from the ski area. It's relatively quick and I really enjoy the outlook over the notch before the final summit push. After the trail zig zags up the glades, look for the sharp left turn...you could easily continue straight ahead and hook up with a ski trail by accident.

I hiked the Kinsman Ridge Trail up to Cannon a few winters ago. I remember it being pretty steep right out of the ski area parking lot! No warming up on a gradual incline on this approach! I was planning to come back down the same way, but made a big loop out of it coming down Hi-Cannon and Lonesome Lake. Had to do a bit of a highway hike to get back to my car, but a nice loop nonetheless.

Mark

High Cannon up, KRT to LL down. Much more interesting than the straight shot up and down from the ski area. I much prefer loop hikes than out and backs.

I love this loop in the winter. Have done it many times, usually after sunset. Only tricky part was keeping on the trail if LL had not been used after the last snow storm.

Probably not an issue this winter but the stretch of KRT between Coopermine Col and the ridgeline is one of the most difficult spots to ascend after significant snow. Its quite steep and the snow seems to just fill in this area. High Cannon also has this issue but I have never encountered it in heavy snow conditions. Back when there was less winter trail use, I and 3 other friends elected to go up this way, everything was fine to Coppermine Col but soon we were in 6 to 8 feet of powder. Snowshoes really didnt help as the steep slope was too loose for kick steps. We ended up effectively swimming in the snow pushing it out of the way until we hit a firm layer. A combination of that method and pulling us up bodily with the assist of trees was the only option. It took us close to two hours to make it from the Col to the Hi Cannon junction. I have also done it when broken out and its still quite a steep stretch, most folks either voluntarily or involuntarily slide down this section so its ends up a steep chute that will set up into ice. Add in a bit of overnight snow and its can get treacherous. Microspikes are pretty much useless unless there is no snow. Even standard hiking crampons are not perfect as front pointing is sometimes needed.

Probably not an issue this winter but the stretch of KRT between Coopermine Col and the ridgeline is one of the most difficult spots to ascend after significant snow. Its quite steep and the snow seems to just fill in this area. High Cannon also has this issue but I have never encountered it in heavy snow conditions. Back when there was less winter trail use, I and 3 other friends elected to go up this way, everything was fine to Coppermine Col but soon we were in 6 to 8 feet of powder. Snowshoes really didnt help as the steep slope was too loose for kick steps. We ended up effectively swimming in the snow pushing it out of the way until we hit a firm layer. A combination of that method and pulling us up bodily with the assist of trees was the only option. It took us close to two hours to make it from the Col to the Hi Cannon junction. I have also done it when broken out and its still quite a steep stretch, most folks either voluntarily or involuntarily slide down this section so its ends up a steep chute that will set up into ice. Add in a bit of overnight snow and its can get treacherous. Microspikes are pretty much useless unless there is no snow. Even standard hiking crampons are not perfect as front pointing is sometimes needed.

I took a pretty brutal fall down that section of KRT one winter. Would still rather take my chances with that than dealing with the ski area

I took a pretty brutal fall down that section of KRT one winter. Would still rather take my chances with that than dealing with the ski area

That would be my main concern if visibility is good and the trail is tracked out- the KRT section between Coppermine Col and the ridge. If you do it as a loop (counterclockwise), you'd better be very comfortable downclimbing steep slick sections because of the 1/4 mile or less that drops off the ridge. Of course, plan B would be to retrace your steps if you get to that section and need to turn around, so if you're OK with that, less of a problem.

I'd avoid the KRT from the north and through the ski area glades at this time of year. I also prefer the Hi Cannon up & KRP, Lonesome option. That said, any way up Cannon is steep. The Ladder in winter can be an issue if it's covered in ice or buried under snow. The Section of the KRT that descends into Coppermine Col is steep and if its' not deep powder, it can be icy. You need to be quite careful on the KRT. Other than the steep section, the LL and KRP up on the ridge are a joy. Hi Cannon offers you views near and above the ladder that are very nice also.