Top Ten Worst Small Towns in NH!

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What makes it a town in New Hampshire? All places named in the article have population under 1000 which in many other countries around the world would not qualify them to be called towns.

Lousy? Why didn't they consider distance from metro areas and proximity to trailheads?

Some of the 'bad' criteria are good, imho, such as:

Population Density
Low housing costs

??

They're using those as "nobody wants to live there" proxies. Which is how Lincoln winds up as #1, since the land area is enormous and the settled area is quite small. By that criterion, Harts Location is a more desirable place to live, simply from small land area.

I am missing the ;) in the original post. They also excluded the unincorporated townships. Pinkham's grant had nine residents in the last census. I have never heard of any real estate transactions since there are only three landowners (USFS, Autoroad and AMC), so establishing housing prices would be difficult. And then there is Success and Martins Location, they have no population so the population density is zero.

Several of our favorite mountain towns made the list! (No, not Twin Mountain.)
cb

As others have mentioned, the criteria are bogus. And so is the data set.
Twin Mountain (Carroll) is not there, even though its population of 763 fits the random criterion of 100-1000.
And the "best" town of Amherst has a population of 11,201, not 670 as noted.
Is this guy smarter than a 5th grader?

I am missing the ;) in the original post.

I Apologize if I did not have tongue firmly enough in my cheek in my original post. Of course this "survey" is hogwash, from the data set to the conclusions drawn.

But, if it discourages even one entrepreneur from building another high-ropes outdoor monkey gym, water slide, or trash-to-energy facility in the north country it will have succeeded!!

cb

Interesting. I would've put Jaffrey on the list. Jaffrey is the only town I've ever been to in NH where they appear to genuinely hate people from Massachusetts.
I've had a few encounters there with people whose entire demeanor changes when they see your license plate.
I mentioned this to a friend who's local to the area, and he said it had something to do with the Mass Boy Scouts having a camp there, and the town getting their panties in a wad over it.

Regardless, I now always drive through Fitzwilliam when I go to Monadnock, if only to avoid Jaffrey.

Interesting. I would've put Jaffrey on the list. Jaffrey is the only town I've ever been to in NH where they appear to genuinely hate people from Massachusetts.
I've had a few encounters there with people whose entire demeanor changes when they see your license plate.
I mentioned this to a friend who's local to the area, and he said it had something to do with the Mass Boy Scouts having a camp there, and the town getting their panties in a wad over it.

Regardless, I now always drive through Fitzwilliam when I go to Monadnock, if only to avoid Jaffrey.
Oh, but the ice cream, the giant scoops you can get in Jaffrey (is it Kimball Farms?). Not to be missed.

Oh, but the ice cream, the giant scoops you can get in Jaffrey (is it Kimball Farms?). Not to be missed.

Kimballs is a pretty good stop for ice cream and other food, if you can withstand the huge lines.....

Sunflowers in Jaffrey is a fabulous restaurant IMO.

This dumb article assumes people don't like rural places. Good. Go to the cities. Love them. Stay there. There are people there. ;)

Sunflowers in Jaffrey is a fabulous restaurant IMO.

This dumb article assumes people don't like rural places. Good. Go to the cities. Love them. Stay there. There are people there. ;)

Where is Sunflowers in Jaffrey? I get up there several times a year for work and it isn't ringing any bells. Is that in the little plaza heading out of town toward Peterborough or right downtown near Lab 'n Lager? What type of restaurant is it? Appreciate some "intel". Thanks.

This article is spot on IMO. Northern New England in general is totally overrated. Glad someone finally got it straight.

Yes. Please DO NOT STOP in Bethlehem.
The easy access to the highways, shopping, the larger towns, the Notches, the Art Scene, the food, the Trailheads, etc.
It all is bad.

I have to agree with Woodsville being on the list. It really went downhill after Ameses closed.

This list cracks me up. I'm no longer a MASSHOLE since I live in NY but I don't think there is a difference!? I've been looking into a family condo for the last few years and I often go back and forth between Lincoln, NH and Northeast Kingdom. Since Lincoln is such an "undesirable" location I wish the real estate rates would reflect it....