Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Top Ten Worst Small Towns in NH!

Top Ten Worst Small Towns in NH!

Wow,

This authoritative survey pulls no punches when it comes to identifying our home-state "s#*t-holes."

And guess what? Several of our favorite mountain towns made the list! (No, not Twin Mountain.)

Read it and weep north country homies.

cb
    Nobody told me there'd be days like these
    Strange days indeed -- most peculiar, mama

Tillson, New York Avatar: Dress for success!
    Some of the 'bad' criteria are good, imho, such as:

Population Density
    Low housing costs

??
    Tom Rankin
    Volunteer Balsam Lake Mountain
    Past President Catskill 3500 Club
    CEO
    Trail maintainer for the Dry Brook Ridge trail from Mill Brook Road to just past the Lean-to

What makes it a town in New Hampshire? All places named in the article have population under 1000 which in many other countries around the world would not qualify them to be called towns.

Lousy? Why didn't they consider distance from metro areas and proximity to trailheads?
    "You do things someone else's way and you take your life in your own hands" - Harold Francis Callahan

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisB View Post
    Wow,

[URL="https://www.roadsnacks.net/worst-small-towns-in-new-hampshire/"]This authoritative survey ...
    Roadsnacks does not strike me as being authoritative by any stretch of imagination

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Rankin View Post
    Some of the 'bad' criteria are good, imho, such as:

Population Density
    Low housing costs

??
    They're using those as "nobody wants to live there" proxies. Which is how Lincoln winds up as #1, since the land area is enormous and the settled area is quite small. By that criterion, Harts Location is a more desirable place to live, simply from small land area.

I am missing the in the original post. They also excluded the unincorporated townships. Pinkham's grant had nine residents in the last census. I have never heard of any real estate transactions since there are only three landowners (USFS, Autoroad and AMC), so establishing housing prices would be difficult. And then there is Success and Martins Location, they have no population so the population density is zero.

What that article considers drawbacks, I consider attractive

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisB View Post
    Several of our favorite mountain towns made the list! (No, not Twin Mountain.)
    cb
    As others have mentioned, the criteria are bogus. And so is the data set.
    Twin Mountain (Carroll) is not there, even though its population of 763 fits the random criterion of 100-1000.
    And the "best" town of Amherst has a population of 11,201, not 670 as noted.
    Is this guy smarter than a 5th grader?
    58.96% When in doubt, go up.

Quote Originally Posted by peakbagger View Post
    I am missing the in the original post.
    I Apologize if I did not have tongue firmly enough in my cheek in my original post. Of course this "survey" is hogwash, from the data set to the conclusions drawn.

But, if it discourages even one entrepreneur from building another high-ropes outdoor monkey gym, water slide, or trash-to-energy facility in the north country it will have succeeded!!

cb
    Nobody told me there'd be days like these
    Strange days indeed -- most peculiar, mama

Interesting. I would've put Jaffrey on the list. Jaffrey is the only town I've ever been to in NH where they appear to genuinely hate people from Massachusetts.
    I've had a few encounters there with people whose entire demeanor changes when they see your license plate.
    I mentioned this to a friend who's local to the area, and he said it had something to do with the Mass Boy Scouts having a camp there, and the town getting their panties in a wad over it.

Regardless, I now always drive through Fitzwilliam when I go to Monadnock, if only to avoid Jaffrey.
    Nothin' on the top but a bucket and a mop
    And an illustrated book about birds.
    You see alot up there, but don't be scared:
    who needs actions when you got words?

Quote Originally Posted by iagreewithjamie View Post
    Interesting. I would've put Jaffrey on the list. Jaffrey is the only town I've ever been to in NH where they appear to genuinely hate people from Massachusetts.
    I've had a few encounters there with people whose entire demeanor changes when they see your license plate.
    I mentioned this to a friend who's local to the area, and he said it had something to do with the Mass Boy Scouts having a camp there, and the town getting their panties in a wad over it.

Regardless, I now always drive through Fitzwilliam when I go to Monadnock, if only to avoid Jaffrey.
    Oh, but the ice cream, the giant scoops you can get in Jaffrey (is it Kimball Farms?). Not to be missed.
    "She's all my fancy painted her, she's lovely, she is light. She waltzes on the waves by day and rests with me at night." - Nessmuk, Forest and Stream, July 21, 1880 [of the Wood Drake Canoe built for him by Rushton]

Quote Originally Posted by Nessmuk View Post
    Oh, but the ice cream, the giant scoops you can get in Jaffrey (is it Kimball Farms?). Not to be missed.
    Kimballs is a pretty good stop for ice cream and other food, if you can withstand the huge lines.....
    NH 48 4k: 48/48; NH W48k: 46/48; NY 46: 5/46

Sunflowers in Jaffrey is a fabulous restaurant IMO.

This dumb article assumes people don't like rural places. Good. Go to the cities. Love them. Stay there. There are people there.
    Humankind has not woven the web of life.
    We are but one thread within it.
    Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves.
    All things are bound together.
    All things connect.
    ~ Chief Seattle, 1854 ~

Quote Originally Posted by Raven View Post
    Sunflowers in Jaffrey is a fabulous restaurant IMO.

This dumb article assumes people don't like rural places. Good. Go to the cities. Love them. Stay there. There are people there.
    Where is Sunflowers in Jaffrey? I get up there several times a year for work and it isn't ringing any bells. Is that in the little plaza heading out of town toward Peterborough or right downtown near Lab 'n Lager? What type of restaurant is it? Appreciate some "intel". Thanks.
    NH 48 4k: 48/48; NH W48k: 46/48; NY 46: 5/46