Thursday Snowshoe up Gap Mountain?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all,
I'm planning for a mid-day Thursday hike up Gap mountain in Fitzwilliam.
If you've never been, it's some of the best views in Southern NH (why this isn't a 52WAV, I'll never know).

Is anyone interested in joining me? I imagine trailbreaking will be required.
1.3 miles to summit.

It's not a 52WAV simply because Ms. Bates chose not to include it in the list. �� Also, there is no minimum elevation requirement for the list, according to one of the members of the group who oversees it.

I'd love to get out, but I'm rehabbing from knee surgery, so not for a while.

A first page first search result from Google says otherwise: http://www.newenglandwaterfalls.com/52withaview.php between 2,500 and 4,000 feet in elevation. (I guess, technically, it doesn't say they HAVE to be between 2500 and 4000'). Hedgehog at 2532' is the shortest, so there is at least empirical evidence to support that :) And Over The Hill Hikers don't even have a real website, nor do they show up the first page of Google search results. Their blogspot site has a 6-year old outdated link to viewsfromthetop.com ...

Tim

Last edited:
A first page first search result from Google says otherwise: http://www.newenglandwaterfalls.com/52withaview.php between 2,500 and 4,000 feet in elevation. (I guess, technically, it doesn't say they HAVE to be between 2500 and 4000'). Hedgehog at 2532' is the shortest, so there is at least empirical evidence to support that :) And Over The Hill Hikers don't even have a real website, nor do they show up the first page of Google search results. Their blogspot site has a 6-year old outdated link to viewsfromthetop.com ...

Tim

I always thought it was supposed to be the best views for non-4k' peaks. The 2500' mark could be an artifact.

When is someone going to make a "33 with a Tree" list of the best peaks with no views?

Gap Mountain sounds like a real gem! Thanks for pointing it out. Summit is just high and open enough to give grand view of Grand Monadnock. Unfortunately I have to work. As for 52 one thing I've learned is one could easily come up with 200 or 300 peaks with views in NH alone if you eliminate height restrictions. Also best views are not necessarily on the peak itself but on the way to the peak.

OK so I checked in again with a member of the OTHH and this is how it was explained to me:

The peaks were chosen to complement the 48 4,000 footers (this part I knew). The peaks on the list are the next 52 down (in elevation) that the group hiked which both had a maintained trail and some sort of view. In descending order, the list just happens to stop around the 2500' mark (this part I didn't know).

So there's no minimum elevation requirement, that's just where the list ends.

If they went to say 60 or 75 peaks, the cutoff would have been lower. But the goal was to complement the 48 4Ks to come up with 100 peaks.

Last edited:
OK so I checked in again with a member of the OTHH and this is how it was explained to me:

The peaks were chosen to complement the 48 4,000 footers (this part I knew). The peaks on the list are the next 52 down (in elevation) that the group hiked which both had a maintained trail and some sort of view. In descending order, the list just happens to stop around the 2500' mark (this part I didn't know).

So there's no minimum elevation requirement, that's just where the list ends.

If they went to say 60 or 75 peaks, the cutoff would have been lower. But the goal was to complement the 48 4Ks to come up with 100 peaks.
Good to know. Thanks for the info.

I'm rather glad it isn't on a list. I remember when I would be the only person on the summit of Watatic. That was years ago.
These days, I can go to Watatic at 5 a.m., midnight, in the middle or a nor'easter... and I'm never alone. The place is mobbed.
Gap is what Watatic used to be, but with vastly better views.