Looking for a new hiking outer shell...

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Brambor....is it good for winter hiking during lots of snow as well?

It's good for most winter hiking if You watch your forecasts carefully but in reality you need another ($$$) hardshell for winter, a sturdier, heavier, more windproof and more rain repellent shell in your arsenal. The people I know will use woll layers, then houdini shell - if the weather is normal and if you don't get cold easily this would work in most of the time. If You run cold, in general, the people I know will add an insulating layer on top and top it off with a hard shell especially when they get into exposed stretches.

In other words, the houdini is windproof but not bulletproof windproof, but it is much lighter, it is most breathable but not waterproof but who needs waterproof in the winter? --- not for well chosen day hikes especially.

It really depends on your main trips. Are you mostly going to do day trips, are you mostly going to do winter camping in a tent for 2+ nights per trip? etc etc...

Most of the time a soft shell is good enough for winter hiking. If You added a houdini to it it would be a great combination but if I planned to do a winter Presi traverse or gone up Katahdin I would want to have full G-Text/Event tops and bottoms.

For example I run hot - 90% of the time I wear one wool layer in good weather and no shell. Above tree line I add a houdini vest if it is a nice day. If it gets windy I add a soft shell jacket to it and if it's pushing me over then I add gtex jacket.

My SO - will wear two wool layers and a houdini if it is very nice out there, if it gets windier she will add a synthetic insulating anorak like the nano puff and if the wind pushes her around she adds a windproof parka.

Thanks Brambor....is it good for winter hiking during lots of snow as well?

Last edited:
My upper shell is my most important piece of clothing. I use the Patagonia Triolet. 3 layer Gore-Tex and bombproof construction. It will repel wind and water with ease.

I can't offer gear advice (it's a "whatever works for you" thing with me) but I can give you some great advice on buying gear.
It's the time of year that nearly every outdoor outfitter has amazing deals in their basement.
In Worcester at New England backpacker, I saw a ton of women's winter gear at 50% off in their basement - really great Patagonia and North Face gear.
If you keep an open eye, you can find some deals too good to pass up.

I can't offer gear advice (it's a "whatever works for you" thing with me) but I can give you some great advice on buying gear.
It's the time of year that nearly every outdoor outfitter has amazing deals in their basement.
In Worcester at New England backpacker, I saw a ton of women's winter gear at 50% off in their basement - really great Patagonia and North Face gear.
If you keep an open eye, you can find some deals too good to pass up.

That's a great point. Most of the websites I follow have been having VERY steep discounts on gear. It was a pretty mellow Winter up until about 3 weeks ago so I think there is inventory to move. As far as brand recommendations I like the Marmot softshells (M1, M2 or M3 depending on how heavy/windproof you need it) and Arc'Teryx hard shells. Both brands have fully articulated fit and snug fitting hoods with plenty of adjustments. I find Marmot to run a little slim for fit so take into consideration your overalll shape and the kinds of layers you intend to wear under it. (I'm a little...er....rotund in the midsection so sometimes they're a bit tight).

I tend to run cold and unlike many people here I usually wear a hard shell almost all the time in Winter and use pit vents, hood on/hood off, zippers, etc to regulate temperature with a few mid layer combinations. Even on nice days you bush against snow covered branches on many trails and soft shells eventually absorb that water and chill me out. I find heavier weight soft shells to weigh a lot more than a good hard shell too and if you have to bring a hard shell anyway "just in case" it seems redundant. As it gets warmer and contact with snow is less of an issue I usually start working a mid weight soft shell into my rotation.

But everyone is different.

I think Outdoor Research has a few you might like. Many to choose from depending on what performance you are looking for.