Shoelaces ?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

richard

Reaction score
No matter what shoes or boots I use, my shoelaces always seem to come loose. Especially on the way down. Is there some product I can use or any specific brands or styles of laces I can try to fix or reduce this problem? It’s a pain in the ass. Thanks.

Tying that seems like a knotty problem. I'm sure it does the trick, but I simply tie another overhand knot with the loops of the standard knot. I don't do it tightly, so it's easy to untie at the end of the hike. The laces come loose about 1/10 as often as they used to.

Or, just tie a double bow! Put the loop through a second time. Learned in 2nd grade and haven't had a shoelace come loose since... and that's going on 45 years ;)

ETA: RichS beat me to it...

Tim

Doesn't everyone tie a double knot as described by Rich? I even do that with my dress shoes.

Doesn't everyone tie a double knot as described by Rich? I even do that with my dress shoes.

I do use a double knot! But,it’s not that my laces come untied. My laces get loose to the point that I have to stop and tighten them up. When I’m in a rhythm, and I have to stop, that’s when it becomes a pain in the ass.😡

I do use a double knot! But,it’s not that my laces come untied. My laces get loose to the point that I have to stop and tighten them up. When I’m in a rhythm, and I have to stop, that’s when it becomes a pain in the ass.��

You mean your laces are stretching? Here's some replacement laces that might work better: https://www.backcountryedge.com/replace-a-lace.html

Another possible solution is to tie a surgeon's knot at the top of your foot. The laces will stay snug below the knot and prevent your foot from sliding forwards when going downhill.

Last edited:
Apparently knot.

Tim

Nice one.;) I've always use the double knot, even on my everyday shoes. I actually rarely untie any of my shoes and those doubles can last for months. I have noticed the laces on my Soloman 4d gtx boots have that slick coating on them and they have come untied even with the double, although not often enough to make it an issue.

Wild. I've never encountered that problem. There are some nice laces that are stretchy so they contract when you tighten them, lessening the chances of them coming loose.

I just broke out a new pair of Keen safety toe hikers this week, and was pleasantly surprised by the 'wobbly' laces- that I just found described as "variegated" by the manufacturer. I have always suffered greatly by loosening laces despite double and triple knotting; when I tied these I was impressed by the snug locking feeling of the laces and they did not loosen all day.

Funny I was thinking if anyone ever posts regarding laces- here you go https://www.keenfootwear.com/p/U-VA..._U-VARIEGATED-LACE-KIT-75_color=1017276&cgid=

I just broke out a new pair of Keen safety toe hikers this week, and was pleasantly surprised by the 'wobbly' laces- that I just found described as "variegated" by the manufacturer. I have always suffered greatly by loosening laces despite double and triple knotting; when I tied these I was impressed by the snug locking feeling of the laces and they did not loosen all day.

Funny I was thinking if anyone ever posts regarding laces- here you go https://www.keenfootwear.com/p/U-VA..._U-VARIEGATED-LACE-KIT-75_color=1017276&cgid=
Thanks, I’ll give ‘em a try.

I also recently purchased a pair of Keen's which have a "locking mechanism" built into the last eyelet. This helps to prevent the laces from loosening. Nice feature

Double knots or double bows. I have found the round laces more prone to loosening up. We used to have a member here called Double Bow actually. He and I did the Wildcats years ago.