Sub 2000 Ft Mountain Suggestions

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DayTrip

Reaction score
With my broken snow shoes and strong desire for it to stop $%%&$% snowing and get warm the past several weeks I have been doing numerous hikes out in Western CT and NY to mix things up and have found some really nice hikes on hills instead of 4k's. I did Round/Frissell/Brace a few weeks back and last weekend hit Macedonia Brook State Park and the loop that goes over Cobble Mt. I really enjoy these ridge top walks with the exposed rocky areas, short twisted trees with open grassy undergrowth and open meadow type areas with panoramic views. Very similar to the Wapack Trail in Southern NH or Blueberry Mt at the beginning of RPR in the Adirondacks.

So I'm wondering about suggestions for similar hikes that might have longer ridge stretches with these same types of views. These hikes have been fantastic but they've been fairly short. With all the distant ridges in view on these hikes I have to believe there may be longer versions of hikes like this in Western MA, NY, NJ or PA. I've basically been scanning through hills on CalTopo looking for dashed lines but that hasn't been terrible productive.Hoping someone here may have some knowledge of similar hikes with a similar feel to the above mentioned trails.

I'm not familiar with the places you've mentioned, but I'm a very big fan of hiking in Harriman State Park (aka Bear Mountain) in the Hudson Valley. The AT goes through there and many of the peaks and ridges have ledges for views. Did some hiking down there as a kid, and more recently did a day thru-hike of the Ramapo Dunderberg Trail. You can get a good amount of gain and distance on a lot of the trails. The national geographic maps and the NYNJTC are both good options.

I've also heard good things about the taconic crest trail, but I haven't done it myself.

The Jay Range in the Adirondacks has some of this, but it's a bit of a walk before you get to it.

Mohonk Preserve (The Shawangunks) is another cool ridge area.

No time to bring up a map right now but look at the peaks around lake George. I had a hike planned there last Columbus weekend but it was a washout and just walked around town on the southern end. I think the hike on the west side was a ridge walk. The east not so much but a lot of great little peaks. Sleeping Beauty and Shelving Rock I believe are a couple.

The Taconic Crest and South Taconic Trails (the latter closer to you) are both pleasant ridge walks that would fit your bill. From the latest AMC Mass. Hiking Guide, however, I was led to expect a series of spectacular summit/ledge vistas that were merely pleasant, because largely grown in. The descriptions are dated. Nice walking, though.

I'm not familiar with the places you've mentioned, but I'm a very big fan of hiking in Harriman State Park (aka Bear Mountain) in the Hudson Valley. The AT goes through there and many of the peaks and ridges have ledges for views. Did some hiking down there as a kid, and more recently did a day thru-hike of the Ramapo Dunderberg Trail. You can get a good amount of gain and distance on a lot of the trails. The national geographic maps and the NYNJTC are both good options.

I've also heard good things about the taconic crest trail, but I haven't done it myself.

Brace is on part of the Taconic Trail and it is awesome, although looking at the satellite views of that trail it appears wooded most of the way but I will likely go back anyway just in case. It was a very cool hike. I'll check out your suggestions. They sound like a fit.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll research these options.

Monument mountain is worth a visit - walking along the top of white cliffs feels like a miniature Gunks. The views are very good, but be warned that the hill is very small. The normal loop is under two miles.

Outside your requested geography, but not too far, and offering a number of interesting hiking options, is Pawtuckaway, New Hampshire. The highest point reminds me of a miniature Mt Monadnock, except it's a crater - you can hit one or more peaks depending how far around the rim you want to hike. There's a fire tower, also a lake, beaver ponds, and a whole field of gigantic boulders. https://www.nhstateparks.org/uploads/pdf/Pawtuckaway-Trail-Map.pdf

Not in the areas you asked about, but here goes anyway. I enjoy the Belknap range in the lakes region of NH. 12 peaks with copious open ledges and awesome views of the lakes and surrounding mountains. Endless ways to link multiple summits and fantastic forest. There is even a patch if you want one upon completion.

More good suggestions. Thanks. I wasn't excluding NH (or anywhere for that matter). I just figured the terrain in Northwest CT/West MA/East NY would all be similar so longer versions of what I had already tried out might be in that area as well. Finding 15-20 mile loops over stuff like this would be quite nice. :)

Monument mountain is worth a visit - walking along the top of white cliffs feels like a miniature Gunks. The views are very good, but be warned that the hill is very small. The normal loop is under two miles.

Outside your requested geography, but not too far, and offering a number of interesting hiking options, is Pawtuckaway, New Hampshire. The highest point reminds me of a miniature Mt Monadnock, except it's a crater - you can hit one or more peaks depending how far around the rim you want to hike. There's a fire tower, also a lake, beaver ponds, and a whole field of gigantic boulders. https://www.nhstateparks.org/uploads/pdf/Pawtuckaway-Trail-Map.pdf

Yes I believe I drove by that trailhead two weekends ago. Was pretty busy trailhead.

The Jay Range in the Adirondacks has some of this, but it's a bit of a walk before you get to it.

I have kept that one filed away from last year when I asked about NY hikes and you mentioned it. Looking forward to hitting this area over the Summer on one of my camping trips. The Adirondacks are a tough one for me day hiking. The Loj is about a 4hr 25 min ride from where I am so a lot of hikes out that way I have to save for the 1-2 weekends a year I get a chance to go out there. :(

You mentioned PA. I lived there for a while near Allentown and really enjoyed the LONG ridge walks on the AT and other parallel ridges. You can go as far as you want. Good opportunities for bike spotting. Great migrating bird potential right now. Watch for rattlesnakes in sunny areas.

Last edited:
You mentioned PA. I lived there for a while near Allentown and really enjoyed the LONG ridge walks on the AT and other parallel ridges. You can go as far as you want. Good opportunities for bike spotting. Great migrating bird potential right now. Watch for rattlesnakes in sunny areas.

A guy in my fantasy football league moved out to Buffalo area a few years ago. He is a not a serious hiker but has been venturing out that way for some hikes and it looks pretty nice. I'd have to camp down there versus day trips but it does look pretty promising so I'm going to look into it further.

Breakneck Ridge in Hudson Highlands has a 9-mile loop that's basically rocky knobs alternating with forested cols. Once you reach the Beacon firetower you can extend the hike over any of three ridges offering more views.

It's extremely crowded weekends, often with 1500 people, and they are in the process of closing the main trail for an indefinite period. However, once you get past the first knob the numbers drop off considerably. We did the Wilkinson Memorial trail over Scofield Ridge on Saturday, about 12 miles in all, and saw a total of 8 people on the trail. (We started in Beacon to avoid the most crowded trailheads.)

There's a good map here: https://parks.ny.gov/parks/attachments/HudsonHighlandsTrailMapNorth.pdf

Mohonk Preserve (The Shawangunks) is another cool ridge area.

Yesterday I took I ride out and did the Millbrook Mt and Gertrudes Nose trails. I have to say on this recommendation you FREAKIN NAILED IT! What a phenomenal hike and area. The views start literally the second you turn up the trail and they are virtually non stop for 5.5 miles. I even found the forest sections to be very interesting with all the lichen and moss on everything, all the ledge, the variety of tree types, etc. I did it as an out and back instead of looping to the lake like I originally planned because it was overcast and foggy and I hoped the sun would break through on the way back, which it did. It was cool to get the eerie bottomless feel to the cliffs with the fog blocking the view of the bottom and then see the actual drop off on the way back. I got a super early start too and didn't see my first people until I was on the way back descending Millbrook which just added to the awesomeness. It was getting pretty packed when I got back. Real gem.

If you have any other suggestions for hikes like this one in that area by all means keep them coming! Thanks.

Glad you enjoyed the Gunks. As a climber, I have been there many times, but I know it is scenic and beautiful for hiking and biking as well.

Browsed the past comments. Gunks good, just need to be aware of any closings, usually the climbing routes, for raptor nesting. Bear and Harriman are good choices. One of the northern descents, not the AT, if quite rugged for a small peak. Because of the usual crowds, my first trip was for sunrise and I got closer to a deer there than anywhere else.

Brace is a great trip, the ridge is only second to Race in that area of the South Taconics. on the way you have a good waterfall and when in season, Blueberries on South Brace. Brace is 2311 but if just looking for southern destinations that are snow free, You have the Holyokes, Anything on the Taconic Crest. I tried to get up Berlin, 2800 the NW MA, corner and high water turned me back after the last big rain storm. From what I've seen online, the summit area is pretty nice, looks like low vegetation. Nice views from Pack Monadnock in NH. See also Grace in MA.

Have you been up West Mt and Higby in CT? Ridgeline with views although 691 and 91 in the view aren't necessarily scenic. You will also have much of your day free since they are in your backyard. If you look at the Monadnock- Sunapee trail, you have choices there too. Pitcher is a quick trip up and then a couple of miles north on the trail there is another view. Because some of the area is deep woods, they may have some snow still.