Sub 2000 Ft Mountain Suggestions

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Browsed the past comments. Gunks good, just need to be aware of any closings, usually the climbing routes, for raptor nesting.

There was a posting for one of the climbing routes for Peregrine nesting but the main trail was OK. Was very well signed. Based on the amount of side paths I saw and how cool those cliffs are I imagine they see a lot of climbers. I did catch a few glimpses of some falcons but mostly it was circling vultures cruising past in big circles. They get pretty close as they glide by. Was pretty cool.

I have hit many of the small peaks you mentioned except the ones in central CT. I am turned off by the close up views of cities, highways, etc and the droning of cars the whole time you are out on the trail. Same reason I haven't done the Holyoke Range, which also looks to be a decent ridge. I'm going to look into that Monadnock-Sunapee Trail. I also noticed when I did the Tully Trail a few weeks ago that a trail near Royalston Falls runs about 19 miles to Monadnock. Have to look at the map to see what type of terrain it goes over.

The trail to Norowttuck, the high point of the Holyokes is not too bad. From the Notch, you do go past a sand and gravel place and under pipelines, however, from the summit, you don't see 91, you don't hear the traffic on 116, you see a couple of buildings on the UMASS campus and on a good day, you do see Monadnock.

The issue is to find close hikes worthwhile for the distance you drive. You have Mashmaquet State Park in your backyard, you may even use it more for dog walking or trail running. No great views but it has the alleged last wolf den in CT and a lot of Mt. Laurel. I have Day Pond and the Salmon River Trail in my town, maybe the hardest hike in New London County. I wouldn't drive to Mashamaquet from my house, when in the area, its nice.

I've been at the top of Boott Spur and have heard the Harleys on 16 in Pinkham Notch before so sometimes the noise is unavoidable. The Higby trip has two ascents, the one from the Middletown Land trust is a few miles round trip and crosses brooks and I've had some close deer sightings on the trip.

Another great ridge walk I finally checked out from a recommendation by someone here a few years back was Greylock. Yes, taller peaks than my original post but I thought I'd mention anyway. I did an out and back on the AT from Mt Williams Reservoir on Pattison Rd. Was an awesome ridge hike, very much like sections of the Wapack Trail with the shorter gnarly trees, moss and flowers. With the leaves just coming out there were very nice views out to the mountains. Trail has excellent footing as well. Need to check out some other trails in this area to see if they have similar ridges. Was very nice walking.

Assuming you have been on Race Mt., specifically the southern approach from Sages? The Ridge walk may be the bet on the AT south or NH and north or VA.

Thanks for the additional suggestions. I'll research these as well.