Its still winter conditions in the northern whites

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peakbagger

Super Moderator
Staff member
VFTT Supporter
Reaction score
As of Friday AM, its actively snowing at 1400 feet in Gorham with fresh snow overnight. Its fluffy and the trees are covered with snow. Could be real drippy day when things warm up tomorrow. Much of the rain that hit down south has ended up on the summits as snow. Still 48 inches at Grayknob as of Thursday and I would not be surprised if they have added some. The local forecast for tomorrow is still a chance of snow with slow clearing out over the day. I expect more than few folks will be heading up from Mass tomorrow expecting a warm spring day with hard snowpack. They will be in for surprise. I personally will be giving Flume via Osseo on Sunday and expect I will be bringing crampons and snowshoe unless I see an updated report on Saturday evening.

Last edited:
Thanks for the update. I'm trying to sort out my weekend plans before I make the drive up north. Sounds like it is February in the Whites right now. I'm trying to decide if I think the snow pack will warm up enough to freeze solid before Sunday. My plan is to ski Mt Washington, but I'm afraid it'll be boilerplate.

Look like the streamflow gauges up north are cranking up as a result of the rain. Down low my snow patches in the yard are rapidly shrinking, but the seasonal "pond" in my front yard is just about ready to spill over the driveway so the ground is still frozen.