Danger, danger!!!

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This article appeared in the NYT on Sunday and made a very strong case (made here also by Sierra) that risk is an important factor in learning. The article concludes with the quotes, "Risk and potential go hand in hand." and "Protection from pain guarantees weakness, fragility, and greater suffering in the future."

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/30/...7831524emc=edit_ty_20180430&ref=headline&te=1

While no one on this board would consider a day hike to Owls Head to be a dangerous or reckless endeavor, non-hikers I know viewed it as such when I explained my plans for that hike a couple of years ago. Considering the 18 miles and 3000 feet of elevation gain, my advanced age (64 at the time), the 2 calf high stream crossings, the steep climb up the slide and especially the fact that I was going solo, in their minds, this hike was "dangerous" and "unwise." While I expected (and got!) a long grueling day, I was well prepared and knew that it was within the boundaries of my abilities and my level of endurance. Was it without risk? Of course not. Were the risks manageable and reasonable? I thought so, and the result confirmed it.

And the largest risk to you still may have been the risk of a motor vehicle accident on the way to or from the trail.

And the largest risk to you still may have been the risk of a motor vehicle accident on the way to or from the trail.

I already alluded to cars being more dangerous. Get your own allusion! :D

A different approach: ALL students do a 3 week long backpack in grizzly country

A Wyoming college apparently has different risk calculations as it requires as orientation a 3 week backcountry orientation that includes 100 miles of hiking, 13k summit, and fly fishing. Yes, all in grizzly country. It also has a robust continuing outdoor leadership program as students continue their careers there that includes horsemanship and other week long backcountry trips, even in winter!

Which College in Wyoming? Penn State was off any list with Sandusky.

The study and wording was just fluff around a decision based on financial risk if a student ever did file suit, ski waivers to date are about the only one to hold up in courts. The Outing club generates no revenue, may cost the school money, puts students far from ER services which parents believe their kids at school are near, and puts them at risk of a very high profile lawsuit where potential future wages could be used to determine a value. (If kids are far from home so parents think they are safe & in their dorm studying)

The outing club was a risk to the school without benefit. Football generates tons of money and for the time being, the NFL has been the deep pocket as NFL players with even more years of head trauma have had autopsies. If you play four years of college, four in high school and a few years prior to that, who do you sue? Everyone? High School and Pop Warner programs have no funds and Colleges provided in many cases free educations. Are there many deceased college football players having autopsies to show CTE? If they could tie it to just college programs for non-NFL players, the wolves would be at the door. Schools like Penn State, Harvard and others have enormous Endowments that could be at risk.

While we know the value of being in the outdoors, a jury is unlikely to listen to a tale of parents sending their kids to school to be safe and then learning they were far from civilization and see that somehow the school has no blame. (Kids dying on campuses due to other reasons probably are beyond the rules of this site, well hazing isn't)

Last edited:
If you are near a place like the Wind River Range, that may make sense. I'll be surprised when schools like Dartmouth and UNH, Middlebury and Plymouth State (Paul Smiths in the ADK) and others on the edge of the mountains get rid of their programs.

PA has lots of woods, I've been on a couple of day hikes there and its nice. However, Between New England and VA, TN, NC on the AT, I've never heard of a thru-hiker waxing poetically over PA. I've heard tales of Duncannon and nickel drafts, well, they may be .50 now. Lots of rocks but not with the same views you get from climbing NH rocks.