Thread: Is Exploring New Hampshire's White Mountains by Wilderness Map Co. the best map ever?

Is Exploring New Hampshire's White Mountains by Wilderness Map Co. the best map ever?

I think it could be.

This map is nothing short of amazing. Best one I've ever used and seen. I wish they had one for the entirety of NH like this.
    Headed to the Black Mountain near Jackson this week, it will come in helpful!
    Spencer
    Bigfoot

Care to elaborate?

Tim
    Bike, Hike, Ski, Sleep. Eat, Fish, Repeat.

I find it to be excessively busy. It can't decide if it wants to be hiking map or a tourist map you'd get as a placemat at some crappy diner.

http://www.mountainwanderer.com/prod...php?prod=NHH13

It's a good overview map, but not one I'd carry with me on a hike.
    You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself, any direction you choose. -- Dr. Seuss

I carry the AMC map that covers the entire whites just to check off the box on the ten essentials. Almost every map out there is based on the same USGS tiger files for topo. The only real difference is presentation and the data base for the man made features.

I remember in the "good old days" when Delorme came out with the map of the whites that covered all the 4Ks, everyone thought that was the greatest as it was based on the new topo generated for the final USGS set of 7.5 minute maps. The only real change between then and now is that folks have walked the trails with survey grade GPS units to more accurately locate the trails and various entities have issued the same topo in various scales and boundaries.
    Last edited by peakbagger; 05-02-2018 at 02:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by peakbagger View Post
    I carry the AMC map that covers the entire whites just to check off the box on the ten essentials. Almost every map out there is based on the same USGS tiger files for topo. The only real difference is presentation and the data base for the man made features.

I remember in the "good old days" when Delorme came out with the map of the whites that covered all the 4Ks, everyone thought that was the greatest as it was based on the new topo generated for the final USGS set of 7.5 minute maps. The only real change between then and now is that folks have walked the trails with survey grade GPS units to more accurately locate the trails and various entities have issued the same topo in various scales and boundaries.
    I still have my Delorme map, with all my notations from the early 80's. I dug it out to show a new hiker the Whites as a ''big picture". It was an invaluable tool, when I first started to learn the Whites.

Quote Originally Posted by SpencerVT View Post
    I think it could be.

This map is nothing short of amazing. Best one I've ever used and seen. I wish they had one for the entirety of NH like this.
    Headed to the Black Mountain near Jackson this week, it will come in helpful!
    I love maps and one of my faves is the "Washburn" map of the Presi ridge.

It's scale allows it to include landmarks not noted on most maps, and it's also pretty.

cb
    Nobody told me there'd be days like these
    Strange days indeed -- most peculiar, mama