Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: White Mountain National Forest Road Status (Tripoli Road???)

Waltham, MA Jazzbo & Marty meet Bigfoot on Kennebago Divide
    Krobi sent me a PM informing me WMNF scheduled trail maintenance training day on East Pond Trail for May 19 so it is pretty safe bet Tripoli Road will be open by then. Tripoli Road usually opens earlier than most FS roads. I think Rolling Rock can rest easy. Say Rolling Rock is good name for some one working Osceola Trail - plenty of rocks to roll around on that sorry trail. Good candidate for a relocation or maybe they can re-arrange rocks into something resembling flatness.
    On #67 of NE67
    On #98 of NEHH
    On #44 of WNH48

"Commuter—one who spends his life
    In riding to and from his wife;
    A man who shaves and takes a train,
    And then rides back to shave again." EB White (1899-1986)

Quote Originally Posted by Scubahhh View Post
    What groups? Not this one, evidently.
    4000 footer groups on Facebook. They get heavy traffic and boast memberships around 14k members. This site doesn't have the traffic for reliable updates, imo.

Quote Originally Posted by sierra View Post
    4000 footer groups on Facebook. They get heavy traffic and boast memberships around 14k members. This site doesn't have the traffic for reliable updates, imo.
    I don't have access to those groups, fortunately. Imagine the OP of this thread times 14k. Every day. Oof.

Quote Originally Posted by JoshandBaron View Post
    I don't have access to those groups, fortunately. Imagine the OP of this thread times 14k. Every day. Oof.
    It is a huge benefit and a massive hindrance at the same time. You can get pretty detailed info in practically real time when you have questions which is nice for last minute questions and planning because there are so many people to draw off of for information. The downside is sifting through a lot of nonsense and pettiness, repetitive and lazy questions, and determining who actually knows what they are talking about and who doesn't. I have been an on-and-off member of several groups on Facebook really just to ask questions when I need to and quickly look through photos to discover areas I may want to go check out. Some are moderated much better than others and that can make a big difference in the irritation factor.
    NH 48 4k: 48/48; NH W48k: 46/48; NY 46: 5/46

As of 5/10 Tripoli road gated at I 93 end.

Quote Originally Posted by DayTrip View Post
    It is a huge benefit and a massive hindrance at the same time. You can get pretty detailed info in practically real time when you have questions which is nice for last minute questions and planning because there are so many people to draw off of for information. The downside is sifting through a lot of nonsense and pettiness, repetitive and lazy questions, and determining who actually knows what they are talking about and who doesn't. I have been an on-and-off member of several groups on Facebook really just to ask questions when I need to and quickly look through photos to discover areas I may want to go check out. Some are moderated much better than others and that can make a big difference in the irritation factor.
    Now where have I heard this story before. It sounds vaguely familiar.

Tim
    Bike, Hike, Ski, Sleep. Eat, Fish, Repeat.

I thought that trailsnh.com was now posting road status due to the Forest service shutting down their page. I don't use that site but I read that somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by sierra View Post
    I thought that trailsnh.com was now posting road status due to the Forest service shutting down their page. I don't use that site but I read that somewhere.
    Yes. He is very actively posting on various Facebook groups that he is updating on road status as he comes across posts about roads. I guess that should be the new de facto road status website.

I don't plan to use it as I apparently need to sign in to post a report. I find that he needs to trim some of the older posts as road conditions from last fall aren't very useful. Since he scrapes multiple sites including VFTT I will see if he grabs he ones that I posted today

Quote Originally Posted by peakbagger View Post
    I don't plan to use it as I apparently need to sign in to post a report. I find that he needs to trim some of the older posts as road conditions from last fall aren't very useful. Since he scrapes multiple sites including VFTT I will see if he grabs he ones that I posted today
    I've always found this site to be a bit overwhelmingly and confusing to use. It does have a ton of current information but I just find it hard to navigate and locate what I want so I rarely reference it. Apparently the actual zoomable map is where current road status is located. I think at least.

Update from WMNF:

ETA: Tonight they issued

CORRECTION: Jefferson, Little Lary, and York Pond on Andro NOT confirmed as open.

Tim
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2018-05-11_16-21-43.jpg 
Views:	147 
Size:	115.3 KB 
ID:	6004  
    Last edited by bikehikeskifish; 05-11-2018 at 07:07 PM.
    Bike, Hike, Ski, Sleep. Eat, Fish, Repeat.