Snow-free peaks in Whites Mid-May

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jessbee

Reaction score
Hello! Long time no see.

I used to be a frequenter of this board but it's been over a decade since I moved to Oregon. I'm headed back next week to spend 6 days with my family and guess what, they want to go hiking! I'm not going to pack snowshoes so I'm looking for an appropriate trail for hiking in the next week and a half.

Having no local knowledge of the conditions, I am looking for:

-a long-ish hike in the Whites
-ideally a summit
-no snow equipment necessary (I could pack Yaktrax I suppose)
-scrambling ok

Any suggestions are much appreciated in order to speed up my research. I have no clue where to begin.

Also I am planning on doing the Belknap Range Traverse with my Dad on May 10 to wrap up a hiking project I'm working on. If anyone wants to join so we can do a car shuttle please message me :)

I apologize in advance for my ignorance. If you want any trail recommendations across the state of Oregon I could help you out there :) Thank you!

I think your timing will not work, Current snowpack on the 4k's is still measured in feet. There are ridgelines opening up and some are almost snow free, but the approaches are not. That's not to say you cant get up some 4k's, I'm just not going to recommend doing it without "snow equipment" for safety reasons.

4K was not mentioned as an explicit requirement and there are certainly lower elevation trails or south facing trails that are being reported as "manageable". I'd keep an eye on the trail conditions sites and see what is being reported.

Tim

4K was not mentioned as an explicit requirement and there are certainly lower elevation trails or south facing trails that are being reported as "manageable". I'd keep an eye on the trail conditions sites and see what is being reported.

Tim

Thank you. I'm cool with manageable. Doesn't have to be 4K but it always feels good to get on top of something. I'm not jazzed about say, hiking in a circle around a lake.

Any sites to recommend for conditions? I found this one which is very helpful: https://www.outdoors.org/outdoor-activities/backcountry-weather

I'll also keep watching trip reports here to see where you all are headed. I feel so out of the loop across the country.

Tim

ok, in that case. I recommend a traverse of the Moat range. Nice summits, great open ridge and comes in around 10 miles round trip.

In the 10 years you've been gone, trail conditions are now mostly reported here: http://newenglandtrailconditions.com/nh/

There may be some facebook sites, however, since I am not on FB, I can't comment on those.

I'd say your best bets are the Belknaps, Ossipees, Morgan & Percival, Welch Dickey & Blueberry Mtn, Near Moosilauke.

I'd skip yaktrax, the preferred traction device are micro-spikes if needed.

I have found in past years that OBP opens up pretty early, lower parts melt, the views are open and bare, however some pockets of deep snow will remain where tree cover is thickest. If Spring is actually here, in CT we went right to summer, you will likely find many trail reports on the link above.

ok, in that case. I recommend a traverse of the Moat range. Nice summits, great open ridge and comes in around 10 miles round trip.

Ooh thanks that looks like fun and I'm pretty sure I've never been there. I'll put that on the list!

In the 10 years you've been gone, trail conditions are now mostly reported here: http://newenglandtrailconditions.com/nh/

I'd say your best bets are the Belknaps, Ossipees, Morgan & Percival, Welch Dickey & Blueberry Mtn, Near Moosilauke.

Great website, thanks. I'll be doing the Belknap Range with my dad for sure. Now to pick one for little brother... Morgan and Percival looks good but short at only 5 miles. Is it worth adding on Webster, Squam...? Blueberry also looks fun but short. At least that gives me a general area to start poking around the maps. Thank you.

Ooh thanks that looks like fun and I'm pretty sure I've never been there. I'll put that on the list!

That is an excellent hike. It will feel like 4k's despite the lower altitude. Plenty of above treeline time and views. Very enjoyable. Good recommendation by Sierra.

Last edited:
Moats are a great trip and southern approach. Your descent may be in some snow but that may be preferable to retracing your steps.

I have been burned on Moats in the spring in the past. The stretch of woods from the Red Ridge junction to North Moat can hold onto snow making for the possibility of postholing. The Green Hill Preserve has a some nice trails and with a car spot you can catch all the views. The red option also has a 3/4 mile stretch near the cut off to Cathedral ledge which holds onto snow and can be muddy. There are a couple of major stream crossings, one can be knee deep near the end of the hike at Diana's Baths.

One big thing that has changed is that ticks are all through the state even up into the outskirts of the whites. if its melted out the ticks may be out. Long pants sprayed with permethrin is the preferred method for most.

Not too far away: Cardigan, Rattlesnake (Rumney). Both have nice trails on the south facing side that sometimes have less snow. Further away but another possibility is Monadnock. All of these are short hikes with nice open summits - might be fun to squeeze in.

I have first hand knowledge that the Moat range is snow free via the southern approach. The descent of North Moat to Dianna's Bath's does hold snow and as peakbagger mentioned, the water crossings can be tough. For your purposes an out and back to North from the Southern approach would guarantee zero issues on your hike. You could even stash your pack somewhere after the summit of South Moat and do the ridge packless.

Thanks everyone for your help! I'll let you know what I end up doing :)