Bonds to Lafayette Conditions

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tchazzard

Reaction score
Hello,

I was thinking of doing a partial Pemi Loop this coming Saturday. Has anyone been on the section between the Bonds and Lafayette? This seems to always hold onto snow the longest.

Thanks,

Chuck

There is still a foot of snow around Zealand hut (to give you an idea where the snow line is now). I'd expect there to be at least a couple of feet of wet snow in the woods along that whole stretch. Certainly more than a novelty amount of snow. Conditions could be challenging for sure.

I would expect very deep snow there. I haven't done this year but I did the stretch between Garfield and Galehead Hut during that really lean snow year we had a year or two ago and it was the only place I wore snowshoes that year (March I believe). The snow was quite deep. Given the volume of snow we got this year and the lack of a warm up until recently I'd expect plenty of the white stuff in that stretch.

Considering what I have seen on other peaks lately. That section is probably, under 3 feet or so right now.

I did it several years ago during Memorial Day and it had feet. The Twinway is the highest wooded ridge in NH. The higher sections in the woods on Garfield and north of Lafayette will be under feet of snow too. Climbing something in the Northern Presi's out of Madison Gulf or 6H, and your plan would be the three trips I would avoid. Other than Mahoosuc Notch.