Thread: Bird identification

Otter River, Mass Avatar: Leisurely winter hike on Monadnock's Red Spot Trail

Bird identification

Ran across this bird on Monadnock today. About the size of a sparrow. Distinct yellow crown with yellow under each wing and tops of wing sort of a greyish blue with black bars. Only similar bird, with the yellow crown, I have been able to find is a golden crowned kinglet, but the pics just don't match up. Any of you bird experts ID this little guy. Thanks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_7658.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	112.7 KB 
ID:	6002   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_7661.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	112.5 KB 
ID:	6001   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_7659.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	109.8 KB 
ID:	6000   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_7660.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	110.8 KB 
ID:	5999  
    Yesterday is history, Tomorrow a mystery,
    Today is a gift, enjoy it!

Kerry

I believe that is a Yellow-Rumped Warbler.

http://www.audubon.org/field-guide/b...rumped-warbler
    "I am a pilgrim and a stranger"

Otter River, Mass Avatar: Leisurely winter hike on Monadnock's Red Spot Trail
    Thanks GJ. That was my original assumption but my audubon books pics weren't even close. This guy certainly didn't have a yellow rump, which I would have thought would have been a pretty much given, because of the name. The first pic in your link is pretty much spot on, so yellow rump it is. Thanks again
    Yesterday is history, Tomorrow a mystery,
    Today is a gift, enjoy it!

Kerry

Quote Originally Posted by kerry13 View Post
    Thanks GJ. That was my original assumption but my audubon books pics weren't even close. This guy certainly didn't have a yellow rump, which I would have thought would have been a pretty much given, because of the name. The first pic in your link is pretty much spot on, so yellow rump it is. Thanks again
    Sometimes the Audubon Guide photos are great but sometimes lacking. I like the Peterson Field Guide better but its good to have both. The link I sent is an excellent resource as well. Your bird surely does have that little yellow spot on his tush. Sometimes the light or the angle of your view causes you to miss a defining mark. Other times the bird just holds himself or arranges his feathers in a way that disguises the mark that you're looking for. As an example, the Red-Winged Blackbird will sometimes clearly display his red wing bands but at other times he just exposes the part that looks white or even yellowish. Nice photos and great spotting.
    "I am a pilgrim and a stranger"