Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Crawford Path getting major attention this summer

Quote Originally Posted by sierra View Post
    Someone in a group I'm in, asked about NB hikers doing the AT. I'm assuming, that skipping this closed section will not disqualify them.
    For the duration of the work, the AT will be over the summit so no problem for Thru Hikers. When we did reroutes along our section of trail for construction the temporary route becomes the official trail.
    You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself, any direction you choose. -- Dr. Seuss

Quote Originally Posted by TJsName View Post
    IMO, thru-hikers that go over the summits still get credit. Imagine the the AT took the Westside trail - how many hikers would skip the summit? I suspect several of the TH's I know wouldn't bother since they could get water at LoC.
    To an "anal" white blazer this is blasphemy . Technically a true purist will do the white blazed bypass route around Eisenhower Monroe Jefferson and Adams summits and then go back to the summits if they choose to. The purists tend to be far more prevalent down south and taper off as the distance and months on trail increase. There are multiple shelters along the trail with a south bound and north bound entrance trail and true purists insist upon leaving the shelter site via what ever trail they entered the evening before. ATCs official policy is if the official white blazed trail route is closed or impassable due to short term issues that a blue blazed route is acceptable.

After Hurricane Irene, the AT from the VT/mass line to RT2 in Shelburne NH was officially closed for a period of several weeks. During that time, there was no blue blaze, technically a thru hiker that year just didn't have to do this section although many either ignored the closure or flipped forward and came back to fill in this stretch.

'Springtime' on the Carters (Somerville, MA)
    Quote Originally Posted by peakbagger View Post
    To an "anal" white blazer this is blasphemy . Technically a true purist will do the white blazed bypass route around Eisenhower Monroe Jefferson and Adams summits and then go back to the summits if they choose to. The purists tend to be far more prevalent down south and taper off as the distance and months on trail increase. There are multiple shelters along the trail with a south bound and north bound entrance trail and true purists insist upon leaving the shelter site via what ever trail they entered the evening before. ATCs official policy is if the official white blazed trail route is closed or impassable due to short term issues that a blue blazed route is acceptable.

After Hurricane Irene, the AT from the VT/mass line to RT2 in Shelburne NH was officially closed for a period of several weeks. During that time, there was no blue blaze, technically a thru hiker that year just didn't have to do this section although many either ignored the closure or flipped forward and came back to fill in this stretch.
    The 'AT' is really an abstract concept. It's as hard to define as a coastline (frame of reference problems), and no two people have ever hike the same trail (the same guy also said, "the path up and down are one and the same"). I would argue that the 'AT' is an experience. Sure, it is literally a physical thing, but at some point the sum of its parts makes it larger than trails that comprise it. I would argue the 'purists' arguments may suffer from an inability to see the forest through the trees - which is literally a quintessential AT experience.
    | 63.0% W48: 19/48
    Trail Adopter of the Guinea Pond Trail (Pemi District)

Quote Originally Posted by TJsName View Post
    I would argue the 'purists' arguments may suffer from an inability to see the forest through the trees - which is literally a quintessential AT experience.
    Hahaha, I see what you did there. If I point out that the idiom is typically expressed as "can't see the forest for the trees" I guess I would guilty of the same thing.

The discussions on Whiteblaze as to what constitutes a pure thru-hike quickly grow very,very tiring. I can't imagine what it must be like to meet one of the zealots on the trail.

'Springtime' on the Carters (Somerville, MA)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Murphy View Post
    Hahaha, I see what you did there. If I point out that the idiom is typically expressed as "can't see the forest for the trees" I guess I would guilty of the same thing.

The discussions on Whiteblaze as to what constitutes a pure thru-hike quickly grow very,very tiring. I can't imagine what it must be like to meet one of the zealots on the trail.
    I guess I'm not a purist when it comes to that idiom. As for the zealots, those arguments always make me think of this: https://xkcd.com/1095/
    | 63.0% W48: 19/48
    Trail Adopter of the Guinea Pond Trail (Pemi District)

Not NH but currently thru hikers can skip Maryland and parts of NY impacted by flooding and still be 2000 milers

https://whiteblaze.net/forum/showthr...rough-New-York

Long-distance hikers are encouraged to find ways to skip Maryland and affected areas in New York or any other areas with potentially unsafe conditions and will not be disqualified for their 2,000-miler status if they do so. Always hike with a map and compass, let someone know your itinerary, and be prepared with contingency plans.

$10k and 6 months? Who the hell thought of this? Would a judge actually inpose a penatgty liek thos for 'walking on the grass?'

Quote Originally Posted by rup View Post
    $10k and 6 months? Who the hell thought of this? Would a judge actually inpose a penatgty liek thos for 'walking on the grass?'
    LOL, I thought the same thing. Jailhouse conversation. Hey Bubba what you in for? Murder. How about you? Murder too, who'd you kill? A Diapensia.

Quote Originally Posted by sierra View Post
    LOL, I thought the same thing. Jailhouse conversation. Hey Bubba what you in for? Murder. How about you? Murder too, who'd you kill? A Diapensia.
    Group W

Tim
    Bike, Hike, Ski, Sleep. Eat, Fish, Repeat.

FYI - From the White Mountain Trail Collective social media:

Crawford Path/Appalachian Trail around Mount Monroe is open! WMNF Closure Order #R9-22-18-01 is now lifted. The trail crews worked hard to move tons of rocks in an effort to protect fragile alpine vegetation and minimize further erosion. Thank you for staying on the trail! Great job everyone!!! #protectthetrailspreservethelegacy #trailmaintainersgettingitdone #Volunteers #crawfordturns200

Tim
    Bike, Hike, Ski, Sleep. Eat, Fish, Repeat.