Alternative to molefoam, 2nd skin

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sanbu

Reaction score
Seeing me patching blisters, a fellow hiker offered me a pad and said it would work wonders. I had never seen that kind before, and when I tried it, I agreed it did indeed work wonders. After 10 days of hiking it still worked well and was not affected by moisture. The pad seemed to combine the best aspects of molefoam and second skin, just sturdier. As best I recall, the name on the package was "Comspeedo" or something similar. My fellow hiker had a very Scandinavian appearance, so I figure it must be a European brand. Is anyone familiar with it?

I am familiar with hydrocolloid pads which may be the similar. In the US, Band Aid brand sells them as Hydro Seal. It is a milky colored white pad adhesive pad. They sell an oval blister version with tapered edges. I buy the larger pads and cut them to size. I managed to chew up the back of my Achilles tendon about 10 days ago and was out of the product. I tried the normal methods and nothing really held up due to stretching of the skin. I picked up a couple of boxes of Hydro Seal to replenish the supply and applied a half of the larger pad and it has held up for 5 days including a bushwhack hike.

The trick is preparation and application takes a bit. The skin needs to be clean and dry. The pad needs to be warmed up in between the hands. Once on, rub it with fingertips and then it should be good for days assuming that the tight spot that caused the abrasion is gone. If the skin is actually broken and leaking plasma, the pad will absorb the plasma and form a softer pad while sealing the area.

This usually means relacing or switching to thinner socks.

Last edited:
Seeing me patching blisters, a fellow hiker offered me a pad and said it would work wonders. I had never seen that kind before, and when I tried it, I agreed it did indeed work wonders. After 10 days of hiking it still worked well and was not affected by moisture. The pad seemed to combine the best aspects of molefoam and second skin, just sturdier. As best I recall, the name on the package was "Comspeedo" or something similar. My fellow hiker had a very Scandinavian appearance, so I figure it must be a European brand. Is anyone familiar with it?

Could it have been https://www.compeedusa.com/compeed-footcare/compeed-blister.html

Looks like my pad was Compeed. Wikipedia says they were developed in Denmark, so Scandinavian after all.

I replaced all my moleskin with Glacier Gel several years ago. Similar products others don't seem to stick as well. Very satisfied with the result.