Backpacking the Dominguez Canyon Wilderness

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tomcat32

Reaction score
I know it's been a long time since I posted an TR for the Northeast, but I'm returning later in summer to spend some time in the Daks and I'm sure I'll have some to share. For now I'm still in Colorado. So here is a TR for a backpacking trip to an overlooked part of Colorado.

A few weeks ago I took a 46 mile trip in this wilderness area in western Colorado. It looks more like Utah, just a few miles to the west than Colorado and is a great place for spring and fall trips when the high country is still snowed in. The loop took me up Big Dominguez Canyon on a decent trail. Then I followed lightly used FS roads and trail to connect to Little Dominguez Canyon. Little Dominguez is very lightly used in its upper reaches making about 1/4 of this 46 mile loop off trail or a bushwhack. There is great desert and canyon scenery with water flowing in both canyons, chances to see wildlife, and even petroglyphs. To see the full report in detail and the 100+ photos click the link below to my blog.

http://tomcatoutdoors.blogspot.com/2018/05/backpacking-dominguez-canyon-wilderness.html