Black Crescent

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SpencerVT

Reaction score
Can one access Black Crescent from the Jimtown road area on the Southeast side?
What is a good access point to climb this peak from the southeast?
I believe a shorter northern approach is not doable because of forest roads still being closed.
How are the woods up there? Thanks!

If you're on FB you can try asking this on the NH100H FB page. I realize they are not on the NH100 but pretty much the NH500 is discussed there. I did them from the west when the road was open so no help.

According to a post on one of the 4000 footer FB pages, Bog Dam Rd. is open and has been since 4/2. So you should be good with the westerly approach. And if head up to N. Black Crescent first you'll find old logging roads and clear-cuts most of the way. And the ridge to Black Crescent and South is pretty open woods.

We tired to do North Black, Black Crescent and South Crescent late season last year. We did it from Bog Dam loop Road. Woods were very open hardwoods almost all the way to the top of North. We avoided the regenerating cuts and stuck to the woods. There is band of Spruce/fir right along the top of the ridge which is fairly open initially. There was some sort of wind event that has occurred recently so there were patches of big blowdown. We followed the ridgeline south and it was bit thicker with occasional blowdown patches. The summit of Black is fairly open woods with a WMNF blazed property line coming in from the East. I expect there is ATV trail quite close to the summit as the ATV park is the east but the walk in from RT110 would be long and dusty. We made it most of the way to South avoiding a few of the puds but ran out of daylight and ended up heading down through mostly open woods once we got past some regenerating cuts that were dense hobblebush. We plan to include South Black Crescent onto a Ice Gulch visit this summer. If you are doing the ridgeline, I think staying just west of the actual ridgeline will avoid the worst blown as it seems to be just at the top of the ridgeline.

Overall I expect if you are just doing the main summit its a real easy day. There are views from on the upper slopes looking west back at the Kilkenny's.