Thread: Porter and Cascade from the Garden Closed May 31st

Porter and Cascade from the Garden Closed May 31st

In case anyone else was planning on this classic this year, you will need a new plan. A possible reroute may be done in the future but not this year. More info here:

http://www.adkhighpeaks.com/forums/f...-garden-closed
    Have fun & be safe
    Mike P.

I did Porter And Cascade from the airfield via the Porter Ridge Trail. Thought it was a pretty awesome route, especially Blueberry Hill area. It had practically no people on it until I reached Porter, where all the peak bagging crowds kicked in. I'd imagine that will be changing now as people look for other options.
    NH 48 4k: 48/48; NH W48k: 46/48; NY 46: 5/46

We were going to spot a car and go down that route. Will be researching new locations. We stay in the Minerva area so may opt for something in the Elk Lake area since we usually go back in October when that area is closed die to hunting. Thinking Macomb and maybe South Dix (Is that Grace or Carson). Boys need a ten mile hike or two in the same day that equal 10. May also do Avalanche Pass and then Mt. Jo.

Two weeks later doing Bond and Bondcliff so my son can finish the hikes for the Hiking Merit Badge.
    Have fun & be safe
    Mike P.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike P. View Post
    We were going to spot a car and go down that route. Will be researching new locations. We stay in the Minerva area so may opt for something in the Elk Lake area since we usually go back in October when that area is closed die to hunting. Thinking Macomb and maybe South Dix (Is that Grace or Carson). Boys need a ten mile hike or two in the same day that equal 10. May also do Avalanche Pass and then Mt. Jo.

Two weeks later doing Bond and Bondcliff so my son can finish the hikes for the Hiking Merit Badge.
    I did Porter Ridge Trail as an out and back day trip from CT last Fall and it was awesome with the foliage. It is not too bad at all - 11.9 miles and 4,439' vertical. Don't really need a car spot. A few dull stretches but all in all nice views for the way back And almost all of the climbing is early going up to Blueberry Hill (I think is about 2,200 ft in 2 miles or something - it was steep but no scrambling). Cool to get the views from all the ledges on Blueberry early morning at sunrise and then again in the afternoon when the sun illuminated all the colors.
    NH 48 4k: 48/48; NH W48k: 46/48; NY 46: 5/46

I think we will save Porter Cascade for the Fall when we can't get into Elk Lake. Teens love scrambling up slides and it's been awhile since I've hiked the Elk Lake area.
    Last edited by Mike P.; 05-16-2018 at 03:43 AM. Reason: gramma grammar
    Have fun & be safe
    Mike P.