Wild River Campground NH

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DayTrip

Reaction score
I was looking online at booking at Wild River Campground in/near Evans Notch and the website says it is first come/first serve. Can I safely assume that driving up on a FRI afternoon that I have a zero percent chance of actually getting a campsite? Was hoping to go in next few weeks and I'll likely be limited to a weekend trip. Was wondering/hoping maybe that area gets a later start to the year than other sites. Anyone feedback on this campground would be appreciated. Thanks.

I just walked the Wild River Road all the way to the campground, which is still gated, yesterday. I wouldn't expect the road to be opening anytime soon from what I saw, a few minor to medium washouts and two more significant ones. Click here for pics.

-Chris

So if they get the road fixed up you can almost always find a spot at wild river. Or at least I have always been very lucky there. It is a long ride up a one way road to find out so I think it deters a lot of folks. You can also simply park at the campground and hike in a bit and find a legit camp site real easy in this area. No fire but a nice wilderness campsite. Warning your results or taste may differ.

I just walked the Wild River Road all the way to the campground, which is still gated, yesterday. I wouldn't expect the road to be opening anytime soon from what I saw, a few minor to medium washouts and two more significant ones. Click here for pics.

-Chris

Wow. Timely update. Would have been a huge bummer to drive all the way up there to find that. I guess I'll have to cross that one off the list for 2018. Thanks.

Wow! Didn't expect the abutments to wash away like that. Last fall they looked pretty solidly emplaced in the banks. The road shouldn't be too long to fix. It's just gravel. Plenty if that lying around.

I've never seen the railroad tracks before. I know the rail bed follows the western bank of the river. Used to be lined with logging cabins until the fire burned them all away.

Worse case, the Hastings campground near the beginning of the road doesn't get a lot of use. The mature trees providing shade were all cut down about 10 years ago and really ruined the campground. Its slowly growing back.

You might want to consider checking out the Basin Campground over in Evans Notch. There are a couple of nice hikes you could base out of there or certainly nearby.

Last edited:
Facebook post on U.S. Forest Service - White Mountain National Forest page indicates that the Wild River Rd and Campground has officially reopened. FYI if anyone was interested other than myself.