Woman climbs tree to escape coyotes - Near Boston!

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for this -- this is the most interesting aspect of this entire thread.

This information is further reinforced in an article in today's edition of the Washington Post. The article examines the rapid spread of coyotes across this country and into other parts of the continent. Fascinating stuff.

So the story of coyote migration is also the story of the loss of the wolf.

Apex Predators

I have read a wonderful mixed media web article on the impact of the return of apex predators to Yellowstone NP. I think it was in National Geographic.

I found these link just now but never is the article I remember reading.

https://blog.nationalgeographic.org...w-of-apex-predators-how-wolves-change-rivers/

https://nemessica.tintagel.pl/apexblog/2018/01/29/Yellowstone-wolves-the-apex-predators-perspective/

"To be fair the fear and anger directed coyotes also comes from the documented attacks on domestic pets. The fact is that coyotes feed on small mammals, and as generalists that sometimes means domestic cats and dogs. Schadler says the best thing we can do for coyotes is educate them. And the best time to educate them is mid- to late-May as the juveniles are emerging from their dens. “They are naïve; they will wander up people's driveways and into people's backyards and try to play with people's dogs, kids, cats. People should haze them by chasing them being loud and making it uncomfortable for those coyotes to be anywhere near their backyard.” This will condition the coyotes to fear humans and steer well clear of us."

This is a great passage. We coexist with smaller (Western) coyotes all the time IMBY. My rule is if they're in my neighborhood, I make it uncomfortable for them, and when I'm in their neighborhood (open space), I watch from a distance/ignore unless they get too close. Seems to work fine. Looking big and making it very clear that my dogs are NOT their lunch helps. I have two dogs I can pick up if need be, and a third that is twice the size of a coyote and makes them run away just by glancing in their direction.

And the author of the NHPR article describes something I've seen them do several times before: cross streets in crosswalks, at green lights. No kidding. I saw one last November wait for a green, cross, wait at the corner for the light to turn green the perpendicular way, then cross again. If I hadn't had others in the car NOBODY would have believed me. Crazy.

Last edited:
"To be fair the fear and anger directed coyotes also comes from the documented attacks on domestic pets. The fact is that coyotes feed on small mammals, and as generalists that sometimes means domestic cats and dogs. Schadler says the best thing we can do for coyotes is educate them. And the best time to educate them is mid- to late-May as the juveniles are emerging from their dens. “They are naïve; they will wander up people's driveways and into people's backyards and try to play with people's dogs, kids, cats. People should haze them by chasing them being loud and making it uncomfortable for those coyotes to be anywhere near their backyard.” This will condition the coyotes to fear humans and steer well clear of us."

This is a great passage. We coexist with smaller (Western) coyotes all the time IMBY. My rule is if they're in my neighborhood, I make it uncomfortable for them, and when I'm in their neighborhood (open space), I watch from a distance/ignore unless they get too close. Seems to work fine. Looking big and making it very clear that my dogs are NOT their lunch helps. I have two dogs I can pick up if need be, and a third that is twice the size of a coyote and makes them run away just by glancing in their direction.

I do the same thing. I've chased them naked through the backyard as they tried to engage one of the dogs and admired them in the middle of a Pemi bushwhack. My cattle dog hates them and will start growling if he so much as smells one.

And the author of the NHPR article describes something I've seen them do several times before: cross streets in crosswalks, at green lights. No kidding. I saw one last November wait for a green, cross, wait at the corner for the light to turn green the perpendicular way, then cross again. If I hadn't had others in the car NOBODY would have believed me. Crazy.

One could argue that coyotes are smarter and/or more considerate than many humans then. :rolleyes: