Vermont Camping Next Few Weeks

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DayTrip

Reaction score
Last night I was researching some VT hikes and was about to pull the trigger on a reservation first week in June and then had a "wait a minute" moment when I realized the campsite I was booking (Moosalamoo) was wide open the first weekend in June (and an alternate I looked at was pretty open as well). Am I missing something? Is mud season still in effect? Campground shows as opening Memorial Day weekend and most of the posts I found about mud season say the trail closures end Memorial Day weekend. Am I missing an obvious issue here? Never been to VT, which is why I was going and seeing a wide open campground on a Summer weekend set off some red flags. If I am making an obvious blunder please let me know. Thanks.

In Vermont I’ve encountered serious black flies this time of year that the Moose even think it’s a good time to stay home.

Out of curiosity, I tried to book a campsite at a few Vermont State Parks for Memorial Day weekend. They seem to be mostly full.

Out of curiosity, I tried to book a campsite at a few Vermont State Parks for Memorial Day weekend. They seem to be mostly full.

I went on Reserve America and looked at Moosaloo and another one (forget name) and they were pretty much wide open. Moosaloo wasn't opening until this weekend so maybe that is a factor. I was looking at FRI 6/1 and SAT 6/2, not Memorial Day Weekend.

EDIT: Chittenden Brook was the other one. Both still pretty open weekend of 6/1-6/3.

Last edited:
I went on Reserve America and looked at Moosaloo and another one (forget name) and they were pretty much wide open. Moosaloo wasn't opening until this weekend so maybe that is a factor. I was looking at FRI 6/1 and SAT 6/2, not Memorial Day Weekend.

EDIT: Chittenden Brook was the other one. Both still pretty open weekend of 6/1-6/3.

Well, if the State Park campgrounds are full on Memorial Day weekend, then it's probably OK to camp anywhere in Vermont the following weekend.

Vermont State Parks offer flush toilets, hot showers (as long as you have quarters), and drinking water. The Forest Service campgrounds Moosaloo, Chittenden and Silver Lake offer non of those luxury items. Moosaloo I believe has hand pump for drinking water. Silver Lake has a 1/2 mile road walk into the campground.

We have mountain biked camped at Silver Lake. Rode in on the Leicester Hollow Brook and out on Chandler Ridge Trail. Some of the trails in Moosaloo are open to mountain bikes. Around 1/2 the sites are on the lake and they are typically private and quite. We had an annual pass to the Vermont State Parks and rode down to Bradbury State Park to use the hot showers. Luna Falls is short hike and nice.

Vermont State Parks offer flush toilets, hot showers (as long as you have quarters), and drinking water. The Forest Service campgrounds Moosaloo, Chittenden and Silver Lake offer non of those luxury items. Moosaloo I believe has hand pump for drinking water. Silver Lake has a 1/2 mile road walk into the campground.

We have mountain biked camped at Silver Lake. Rode in on the Leicester Hollow Brook and out on Chandler Ridge Trail. Some of the trails in Moosaloo are open to mountain bikes. Around 1/2 the sites are on the lake and they are typically private and quite. We had an annual pass to the Vermont State Parks and rode down to Bradbury State Park to use the hot showers. Luna Falls is short hike and nice.

I generally prefer campgrounds as rustic as possible. As long as it has an outhouse of some sort I'm good. When I camp with friends/non hikers I'll cave to the luxury of actual bathrooms, hot showers, etc but when I am by myself I like it as close to backpacking as possible.