Lost dog prevention

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

richard

Reaction score
The other day while hiking, I saw a dog coming towards me with a bear bell attached to his collar. I could hear it from quite a long distance. I think it’s a good idea to keep from losing your best pal. They would be much easier to locate,just in case.

Opposing view: As someone who regularly backpacks with his dog, it's the most annoying sound in the world. I would never want to subject everyone else on the trail, or worse, at camp, to that noise all day long. If you need a bear bell to locate your dog perhaps a leash is a better idea?

If you lose your dog, the odds that he will still be close enough for a bell to get you to him is remotely small. They are very annoying, talk about a great way to destroy the sounds of nature. I use a leash, backed up with a tag on the collar and the final most important step, microchip. I can not even guess how many lost dogs I have seen or heard of over the years. In most cases, its off leash hiking dogs who ran into something that caused them to run or they just wandered off. Frankly and this is just my opinion. I cant fathom how people take the chance to let their dogs off leash while hiking.

I once lost my giant Pyrador on the AT heading up Sugarloaf in Maine. I had him off leash to navigate the steep cliffy section from Caribou Pond road to where it tops out on the way up. He had instantly bonded with three Southbounders and headed for Georgia. Longer story short. My phone number was on his collar along with his name and mine. I chased him and them toward Spaulding shelter and gave up due to darkness. That night at home I got a call from one of the hikers who had been walking with "Emerson" who said had no cell service until then. Anyway, he turned Emerson over to a Northbounder who met me at the Caribou Pond road crossing the next day with a very tired and paw sore big dog. I gave the hiker all I had in my wallet $50 for the favor. Sequel: The next day I was in Rangely and happened to pick up three guys who were heading back to the trail from food re-supply and I told them about the incident and they said. "Oh, you mean Emerson"?

Name address and phone number on a good sturdy collar are imperative.

And for those people who say dogs should always be on leash. There are many places where the terrain can be dangerous if you and your animal are roped up.

Last edited:
Funny, you bring this up, I was at a trailhead where a person was walking his dog on a leash, a younger dog with an invisible fence collar was tagging along with no ID beyond a rabies tag. It was a Sunday and this younger dog was bounding back and forth across the street oblivious to traffic. The guy walking his dog was asking everyone driving by if they knew where the dog owners lived. He eventually called his wife and hauled the pup and his dog home. Not sure of the outcome. This was in the Conway area which has a humane society that has kennel facilities and connections with police. Once a dog owner heads into the WMNF or in the north country, there is no organized staffed humane society so no organized method of dealing with stray dogs. Its very low to non existent priority for law enforcement unless the causing other problems. If the dog is lucky someone hauls it home but just as likely the dog is going to get hit by a car. If its hunting season the dog may meet a different fate if its running deer. IMHO its irresponsible to take a dog in the woods without clear ID including a phone number fr the owner on a sturdy collar. When dogs do get lost and owners are looking for them the owner inevitable says that its atypical behavior for the dog to run away.

It turns out that it was not atypical at the time for Emerson. He was an older dog that I had rescued from Tennessee who had formed the habit of immediately bonding or attempting to bond with people. It took years for that behavior to diminish. He had been the inmate of a private animal shelter in TN whose owners simply walked away from their charges. By the time the authorities discovered this, many of the animals had died from starvation or lack of water.. Emerson had broken all his front teeth off trying to chew through the chain link fence. Gone now, but a great dog for the seven years he lived with me after release from his imprisonment. Ahh the stories I could tell about his Great Pyrenees (Patou) heritage behavior. Sigh....Emerson Winter 2013-4.jpg

Last edited:
I don’t think the bell would bother me. I think it would let me feel a little more at ease knowing he was close by.

I don’t think the bell would bother me. I think it would let me feel a little more at ease knowing he was close by.

My point wasn't about it bothering the person using the bell. My music doesn't bother me. It's everyone sharing the trail that has to listen to it.

My point wasn't about it bothering the person using the bell. My music doesn't bother me. It's everyone sharing the trail that has to listen to it.

If it bothers someone, all they need to do is take a minute or so break and let the hikers pass . Or if you are hiking at a faster pace, you’ll soon be ahead of them. To me it wouldn’t be a big deal. BUT, that’s just me. If it helps to keep the dog safe I’m ok with it !!! I like most dogs better than most people!!!

Last edited:
If it bothers someone, all they need to do is take a minute or so break and let the hikers pass . Or if you are hiking at a faster pace, you’ll soon be ahead of them. To me it wouldn’t be a big deal. BUT, that’s just me. If it helps to keep the dog safe I’m ok with it !!! I like most dogs better than most people!!!

Hear hear! Richard Or as my kids would say WORD!

Anyone give any thought about whether the bell bothers the dog? The dog is stuck with it, right next to his or her head, all day long...

The other day while hiking, I saw a dog coming towards me with a bear bell attached to his collar. I could hear it from quite a long distance. I think it’s a good idea to keep from losing your best pal. They would be much easier to locate,just in case.

I tried it once on my dog Lauky, but he hated it so much I just gave up.

If you lose your dog, the odds that he will still be close enough for a bell to get you to him is remotely small. They are very annoying, talk about a great way to destroy the sounds of nature. I use a leash, backed up with a tag on the collar and the final most important step, microchip. I can not even guess how many lost dogs I have seen or heard of over the years. In most cases, its off leash hiking dogs who ran into something that caused them to run or they just wandered off. Frankly and this is just my opinion. I cant fathom how people take the chance to let their dogs off leash while hiking.

Even the leash is not foolproof. I one time was standing at the trailhead for Valley Way with Lauky on a leash when he suddenly jerked the leash from my hand and took off after a couple with a dog that had left an hour before us. He caught up with them about half way up. After they had climbed Madison their plan was to continue on to Washington but when I didn't show up, angels that they were, they headed back down. I met them near the tent sites. After that incident I purchased a bungee leash that attaches to a belt. That was at least ten years ago. I've hiked pretty nearly every week since then and never again lost my dog.

Last edited: