Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lost dog prevention

Quote Originally Posted by TCD View Post
    Anyone give any thought about whether the bell bothers the dog? The dog is stuck with it, right next to his or her head, all day long...
    You could be right. You should ask the dog !��

Blairsville GA ......... Avatar-- On top of Starr King Mt.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hillwalker View Post
    If you don't like the sound of bells, big and huge, don't hike in the French or Spanish Pyrenees.
    Thanks for the video clip. I lived in France from 1980 to 2000 and that clip brought back some great memories.
    I used to look at my dog and think 'If you were a little smarter you could tell me what your were thinking', and he'd look at me like he was saying 'If you were a little smarter I wouldn't have to'. Fred Jungclaus

Some of our greatest historical and artistic treasures we place with curators in museums; others we take for walks. Roger Caras

100/100 NEHH with Duffy
    48/48 NH 4000 Winter Ed with Duffy and Lauky
    48 X 4 including 1 winter Lauky
    48 X 6 Ed
    12 X 12 Belknaps with Lauky

Quote Originally Posted by richard View Post
    The other day while hiking, I saw a dog coming towards me with a bear bell attached to his collar. I could hear it from quite a long distance. I think itís a good idea to keep from losing your best pal. They would be much easier to locate,just in case.
    I tried it once on my dog Lauky, but he hated it so much I just gave up.
    I used to look at my dog and think 'If you were a little smarter you could tell me what your were thinking', and he'd look at me like he was saying 'If you were a little smarter I wouldn't have to'. Fred Jungclaus

Some of our greatest historical and artistic treasures we place with curators in museums; others we take for walks. Roger Caras

100/100 NEHH with Duffy
    48 X 6 Ed

Quote Originally Posted by sierra View Post
    If you lose your dog, the odds that he will still be close enough for a bell to get you to him is remotely small. They are very annoying, talk about a great way to destroy the sounds of nature. I use a leash, backed up with a tag on the collar and the final most important step, microchip. I can not even guess how many lost dogs I have seen or heard of over the years. In most cases, its off leash hiking dogs who ran into something that caused them to run or they just wandered off. Frankly and this is just my opinion. I cant fathom how people take the chance to let their dogs off leash while hiking.
    Even the leash is not foolproof. I one time was standing at the trailhead for Valley Way with Lauky on a leash when he suddenly jerked the leash from my hand and took off after a couple with a dog that had left an hour before us. He caught up with them about half way up. After they had climbed Madison their plan was to continue on to Washington but when I didn't show up, angels that they were, they headed back down. I met them near the tent sites. After that incident I purchased a bungee leash that attaches to a belt. That was at least ten years ago. I've hiked pretty nearly every week since then and never again lost my dog.
    Last edited by Ed'n Lauky; 06-12-2018 at 05:14 PM.

100/100 NEHH with Duffy
    48 X 6 Ed

Quote Originally Posted by Ed'n Lauky View Post
    I tried it once on my dog Lauky, but he hated it so much I just gave up.
    Like I said. Just ask and he’ll let you know.

At least they are not getting genetic damage caused by the RF Emissions of a Cell Phone stuck to their head all day. Tongue in cheek.

Quote Originally Posted by richard View Post
    If it bothers someone, all they need to do is take a minute or so break and let the hikers pass . Or if you are hiking at a faster pace, youíll soon be ahead of them. To me it wouldnít be a big deal. BUT, thatís just me. If it helps to keep the dog safe Iím ok with it !!! I like most dogs better than most people!!!
    Fair enough.