Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bear Grylls films in NH

No Blue Screen for the Iron Patriot / War Machine.
    Have fun & be safe
    Mike P.

Bear actually is pretty tough. He climbed Everest at 23 and this was after recovering from a broken back. He is also former British SAS. His TV show is beyond corny and I don't care to watch it, its so bad. That being said, I don't fault him for making a buck, I mean the same people who tune into his show. Think profession wrestling is real. Did he really use an antler to catch his rope? lmao.

Quote Originally Posted by hikerbrian View Post
    How about all the drama about BEARS!! ... ? And yeah, the dear antler. My wife says, "Wait a minute, where did the double rope line come from? And check out all the gear set up on the tree behind them now!"
    It's an entertainment show, not a realistic how-to show*. However, one can easily imagine a beginner copying "Bear's way" and getting into serious trouble. (This is my primary fear about the program.)

* Any experienced climber can spot things like extra ropes magically appearing etc. And, of course, someone is holding the camera so extra trained personnel are always close by.

Also his "living off the land" is inappropriate in some places (eg the WMNF) and the quantity of food that he typically obtains is generally woefully inadequate to sustain one for any length of time.

FWIW, Bear does sometimes break the fantasy and state that some piece of gear was pre-placed. (Clearly all of his routes are scouted and pre-planned before the cameras arrive. And, as others have noted, some of these routes are rather contrived...)

Doug
    Last edited by DougPaul; 06-27-2018 at 05:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DougPaul View Post

FWIW, Bear does sometimes break the fantasy and state that some piece of gear was pre-placed. (Clearly all of his routes are scouted and pre-planned before the cameras arrive. And, as others have noted, some of these routes are rather contrived...)

Doug
    Like part of an episode I saw the other night with Shaq where he takes along a grappling hook cannon so they can rope up an incline? I think that is the 11th essential - climbing bazookas.
    NH 48 4k: 48/48; NH W48k: 46/48; NY 46: 5/46

Bear is a total whimp compared to Stallone in "Cliffhanger".
    "I'm getting up and going to work everyday and I am stoked. That does not suck!"__Shane McConkey

Quote Originally Posted by sierra View Post
    Bear actually is pretty tough. He climbed Everest at 23 and this was after recovering from a broken back. He is also former British SAS. His TV show is beyond corny and I don't care to watch it, its so bad. That being said, I don't fault him for making a buck, I mean the same people who tune into his show. Think profession wrestling is real. Did he really use an antler to catch his rope? lmao.
    Corny, that may be the biggest understatement of the year. Now I'm watching it a 2nd time with my son to explain how contrived the route is and that you don't walk from Glen Ellis Falls to the top of a cliff in Crawford Notch above the trestle on the South side of 302 without crossing 16 and 302. Camera men deserve all the praise, except for the opening at the Mt. Washington Auto Road complex, you don't see any of the development. (maybe a shot of 302 from the top of the cliff)

What does the camera crew eat and did they actually eat starling eggs and worms? And who in their right mind continues to wear a climbing harness while bushwhacking for hours. The route must gave been contrived to avoid hearing all the truck noise in the notches.
    Last edited by Mike P.; 06-28-2018 at 11:18 AM. Reason: gramma, I mean grammar
    Have fun & be safe
    Mike P.