Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bivy Sack / 1 Person Tent Hybrid

Why not a well-ventilated single-wall tent?

http://www.davidalbeck.com/hiking/reviews/zeus1exo.html

The vestibule needs stakes or rocks (or just stuff your backpack inside) for proper tension, but that's not needed for tent integrity except in very high wind from that direction. A bit of tension on the fabric does help the zipper travel easily, though.

Mine's been going strong for 15 years now.

Edit: before posting this, I checked that this tent was still offered for sale online. I found it, for cheap (~$60), but on closer inspection I can't find a respectable vendor who actually has it in stock. You'll have to try Craigslist or EBay.
    Last edited by nartreb; 06-15-2018 at 10:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Murphy View Post
    You cowboy, do you use your teeth to strain out your coffee grounds out too?
    No, I use a cone filter. However, I don't take time to make coffee in the morning when trying to get an early start to catch a sunrise. There are other alternatives: https://www.peets.com/chocolate-cove...sso-beans.html

EMS Velocity ! Tent I love mine!

Quote Originally Posted by jniehof View Post
    They're all free-standing, which was what you stated. I'm sure they'll go together without being staked, but it's tough to get a good double-wall with space between fly and body for ventilation without the tension of stakes.
    ?? It looked to me in photos that the fronts had to have body staked or the sides would collapse toward the single pole. When I say free standing I'm talking the unit would be complete w/ fly without tying anything, fly or body. I'll have to go back and look at the photos again.
    NH 48 4k: 48/48; NH W48k: 46/48; NY 46: 5/46

Quote Originally Posted by jfb View Post
    The Kelty Circuit 1P looks like a clone of my Marmot Eclipse, which is a fine tent.
    That was the model I ordered in REI Garage. I love Marmot stuff and own several of their tents. Didn't see anything on their site that looked like it would fit the bill. All required some sort of staking and I don't like their large vestibules on the fly for this purpose. Creates a lot of width to the set up which would not be ideal for what I am trying to do.

Quote Originally Posted by nartreb View Post
    Why not a well-ventilated single-wall tent?

http://www.davidalbeck.com/hiking/reviews/zeus1exo.html

The vestibule needs stakes or rocks (or just stuff your backpack inside) for proper tension, but that's not needed for tent integrity except in very high wind from that direction. A bit of tension on the fabric does help the zipper travel easily, though.

Mine's been going strong for 15 years now.

Edit: before posting this, I checked that this tent was still offered for sale online. I found it, for cheap (~$60), but on closer inspection I can't find a respectable vendor who actually has it in stock. You'll have to try Craigslist or EBay.
    I would have preferred a single wall tent. Would have been closer to the simplicity of a bivy sack. All I really want is some bug and precipitation protection while I am sleeping. Not looking to change inside, store my pack, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by jfb View Post
    No, I use a cone filter. However, I don't take time to make coffee in the morning when trying to get an early start to catch a sunrise. There are other alternatives: https://www.peets.com/chocolate-cove...sso-beans.html
    Chocolate covered espresso beans are delicious. I take those along on occasion in my trail mix.