Best route for Mount Isolation?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I did it from Ammo Ravine with a side trip up Monroe. A longish route, but most of the route is up high and the only stream crossings were on Ammo Ravine trail. I recommend it.

Doug

EDIT: changed Madison to Monroe

Last edited:
I did it from Ammo Ravine with a side trip up Madison. A longish route, but most of the route is up high and the only stream crossings were on Ammo Ravine trail. I recommend it.

Doug

I love crazy routes as much as the next guy (I once did Monroe up Boott Spur, Davis, Crawford, Monroe Loop up and over, Crawford again, Camel, Davis again, Glen Boulder and Dirretssima) but you did MADISON from Ammo with Isolation? Did you mean Monroe? I think "longish" would be an understatement for that hike. That is a Chris Dailey-esque day right there (well 7 hours but you get the idea). :)

I love crazy routes as much as the next guy (I once did Monroe up Boott Spur, Davis, Crawford, Monroe Loop up and over, Crawford again, Camel, Davis again, Glen Boulder and Dirretssima) but you did MADISON from Ammo with Isolation? Did you mean Monroe? I think "longish" would be an understatement for that hike. That is a Chris Dailey-esque day right there (well 7 hours but you get the idea). :)
Oops, sorry! Of course I meant Monroe--I occasionally confuse the names (but not the peaks).

It is still a nice route, even if one gets the names wrong... :)

Doug

It may not be for everyone, but my best route would be (I have not done it yet) to hike up the Dry River trail and set up camp near Dry River Falls. Next day, up Isolation (west) and south on the Davis Path to 302.

Oops, sorry! Of course I meant Monroe--I occasionally confuse the names (but not the peaks).

It is still a nice route, even if one gets the names wrong... :)

Doug

Chronologically and ordinally, Monroe should be Madison, and Madison should be Monroe, so I can understand your confusion.
Madison was the 4th President and Monroe the 5th. Ergo, the higher peak should be #4 and the lower peak #5 if one follows the progression from Washington, Adams, and Jefferson.

It may not be for everyone, but my best route would be (I have not done it yet) to hike up the Dry River trail and set up camp near Dry River Falls. Next day, up Isolation (west) and south on the Davis Path to 302.

Those campsites on Dry River at Iso West and at the Cutoff are a couple of my favorites.

Going to do Isolation and the Boott Spur with a couple nights stay at Hermit Lake next week. Boott Spur Link to Boott Spur, Davis Path, Isolation and back.