Brook On Edmands Cut Off Reliable?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DayTrip

Reaction score
On the map there is a little brook that intersects the Edmands Cut Off Trail between Six Husbands and Edmands Col. Does that flow reliably enough to filter water, especially given the dry conditions right now? Plotting out a Great Gulf loop of some sort and looking to lighten my load for the climb out, whichever way I go. I've never taken the Edmands Cut off before so I have no idea if that brook can be used. Normally I tank up on the West Branch and climb out fully loaded for the rest of the day. If anyone knows please pass it along. Thanks.

This spring is pretty reliable. It's not far from the intersection too. If it's dry, the other spring a but down the Castle Ravine trail (but still in the col) is pretty solid too. I used the prior last July, and the latter in previous years.

This spring is pretty reliable. It's not far from the intersection too. If it's dry, the other spring a but down the Castle Ravine trail (but still in the col) is pretty solid too. I used the prior last July, and the latter in previous years.

Is the spring signed? Map is vague. Almost looks like the spring is on Gulfside, not Edmands Cut Off. I have used the spring off Castle Ravine Trail many times and while it is not that far down the trail I won't be heading in that direction. Would be the back up plan.

Not signed. But if you’re looking for it, I’d say you can’t miss it. Flows across the trail at a tiny meadow.

Last edited:
I visited this spring in late July last year and had no problems getting water. Only thing to be mindful of is that it's one of the closest places for people to get off the ridge and into the scrub to relieve themselves and often they go a little too close to the spring for my liking.