Great Gulf Parking Area Damaged?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DayTrip

Reaction score
There was a recent trip report on NETC referencing damage to the Great Gulf Parking Lot from the storms last Fall. Says the sign for parking area is missing, lot is smaller but still has room for "a dozen cars or so". That would be some pretty extensive damage to shrink that lot by that much. It's is huge and well above the river so this comment really popped out to me as odd. Has anyone been there recently to confirm the extent of the damage, are the outhouses still intact, etc? Hopefully the poster from NETC is here on VFTT. I have not seen any other reference to damage at that lot in other trip reports.

Thanks in advance for any info.

The parking lot is fine, no extensive damage from the storm other than some minor undermined pavement & runoff, cones present to mark off these spaces, maybe they are patching that up at the moment and they have more spaces closed off for the time being. Also, they are just replacing the sign and have a tiny temporary sign there, it wasn't damaged in the storm. :)

Last edited:
The parking lot is fine, they are just replacing the sign and have a tiny temporary sign there for the time being!

That is what I figured. Not sure why the guy thought they could only fit 12 cars. Specifically referenced damage from the Fall storms in his report. Maybe it was roped off when they were removing the sign and he happened to be there? Who knows. Thanks for update.

Yup, the lot is just fine and can fit 2 dozen easily if not more. Was just there last Saturday. Don't remember for sure but I think the sign must have been replaced because it didn't look like a temporary one.

Just for the "official record" there actually is some minor damage to the lot. In that small lower lot as the road loops around to the outhouses about half that lot is semi-washed out and has some cones blocking it off. Only affects maybe 5-6 spaces and really is less because several cars could park parallel to the road in a pinch. The trip report I read was a pretty overstated account of the damage. You can still easily get 25-30 cars in that lot even with the lost spaces.